Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ready to take the plunge!

I'm really really wanting to start a ten gallon nano reef with a pair of clownfish. I know there are different types of clownfish so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction to the hardiest one. I've done quite a bit of research on this and I think I can handle it. However I would have to convert the freshwater tank I already have into it. My LFS said I could put marine salt in it and then the pre existing BB would die, feeding the new BB. I just need to purchase my live rock and then I can start cycling...but wait what about the filter and power head?! So there's where I run into a problem. My mom doesn't want a filter because its "too loud" at night and this tank will be in my room. I know there are "silent" filters but could I try to make it completely silent and just do a power head instead of the filter? Someone on this forum told me once my tank is fully established there will be so much BB in the live rock and sand that I won't need a filter. I'm only planning on have that pair of clownfish and a few anemones, Zoanthids and maybe some blue legged Hermits so I'm assuming there won't be a large bioload. A single power head should be enough to supply sufficient oxygen correct? Thanks for the help in advance! Oh and P.S I realize the smaller the tank the harder it will be to maintain but I'm up for the challenge!

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟

Old 10-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ready to take the plunge!

hopefully I don't need a filter for this! Oh and I forgot to include that I would like to eventually have the pair spawn! If this happened I'd probably sell all but one or two. Would the three or four be able to live together?

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟

Old 10-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well in a 10 gallon tank you won't be able to have anemones or two clowns unfortunately, you might want to go on Live Aquaria and check up on the nano fish that you can have.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 10-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Your not gonna have a successful breeding pair of clowns in a 10. And raising the fry is expensive and time consuming. You'd need a separate tank to raise them.

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoreefz View Post
Well in a 10 gallon tank you won't be able to have anemones or two clowns unfortunately, you might want to go on Live Aquaria and check up on the nano fish that you can have.

Really?! My LFS and practically all the other sites I've seen said it would be ok... That's disappointing but of course I want what's best for my future fish!

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Old 10-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Your not gonna have a successful breeding pair of clowns in a 10. And raising the fry is expensive and time consuming. You'd need a separate tank to raise them.

What about just the pair them selves? And can the tank be filterless once it's established?

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Old 10-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I wouldn't do a pair in a 10. I had 2 in a ten for like 4 months before I upgraded them. They really do need more room.

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
I wouldn't do a pair in a 10. I had 2 in a ten for like 4 months before I upgraded them. They really do need more room.

I get attached, are there any long living fish I can have in there? Like around ten years on average?

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Old 10-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your LFS will tell you anything to make a sale. I had the same problem. If you do your research and look at other threads on this forum it will help a lot!

Old 10-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoreefz View Post
Your LFS will tell you anything to make a sale. I had the same problem. If you do your research and look at other threads on this forum it will help a lot!

I have and it looks like I can do a filterless after all!

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com