Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Real newbie here

Hi. My grandson has a 29g Nano Cube reef which just fascinated me so for my birthday just recently the family got together and got me a 14g Nano Cube DX. With my grandson's help it has been stocked with live sand, live rocks and salt water from one of our local vendors. This was done May 7th of this year. It is sitting there, nice and clear, and I plan to take water to our other local vendor for testing and tons of questions. That's about all I can tell you right now but I'm sure I'll be reading lots from this forum and asking questions. Love the forum so far. I live in South Florida on the east coast. Thanks. Ann

Old 05-10-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's a pretty awesome gift that you got!

Old 05-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #3

Thanks. I thought so. I even got money for fish, etc. Now I just need knowledge which I expect to get here.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh yes, do you have any questions that you want to ask? Or is there anything your unsure about? Stocking, etc?
Old 05-11-2014, 12:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Congrats and welcome to AA.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:05 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Welcome I live in north palm beach county. We're are you? There are some good lfs in this area if your local I'll let you know.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #7

Thanks for the welcome and YES I have questions. BTW, I live in Stuart. Tank is cycling just fine and I am surprising myself with my patience. Need a hood which I can get online for $139 next month unless I decide to go with something else, like egg crate and a light. Which would be best? I've been all over this fantastic forum, following new set-up post questions and answers.

At this point, I am really interested in a macroalgae tank with some inverts and maybe one fish. 14 gal is pretty small and, yes, I'm already looking at bigger but not until I get this one under my belt satisfactorily. How does that sound?
Old 05-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds good! And at least you live in Florida here there is plenty of fish stores. I live in NC, my nearest so called "petstore" is 40 mins away.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #9

Yes, living in Florida has its advantages. I remember years ago people collecting fish from our local reef for their tanks. Probably illegal now. We have two lfs's, one about 10 minutes from me and one about 15. Heading to one in a few minutes just for the fun of it and to get a nitrite test kit and to let them test my water. I've been doing it myself. Ammonia is almost 0 and nitrates were going down. Didn't have a nitrite kit. Also need to learn what else I need to test once the cycling is over. Lots to learn. Good luck in NC.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lol yea. And the store that's 40 mins away is a petco. We do have a reef store called "majestic reefs" about 2 hours away. They have everything you need. But they're expensive!

Tags
newb, newbie

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com