Really a need for bioballs??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have bio-balls and I am very happy with them. I will not be changing anything about my tank any time soon.

I think it is a preferance thing.

I'm about half way thru in ditching my B balls. Every 2 weeks I fill a 1.5 gallon bucket full of them and dump 'em. My tank's been up and running for 6 months with a DSB and biweekly 15 gallon PWCs. I'm still having nitrates in the 40 range.

I'm hoping the Balls are the cause.

Spin

I think one of the big problems with bio-balls is that people have them submerged and they easily trap debris that way and the end result is nitrates. If they are used properly (not submerged) nitrates will not be a issue with them. With that said I am one of the people that had bioballs and replaced them with rubble. :oops: Not due to a nitrate issue though. I just had a bunch of extra rock and liked to idea of LR better than plastic balls.

BillyZ said:
sdellin, lando pulls out the LR rubble just so she can remove settled detritus and waste from the bottom of her sump to keep it from building up. The removal of the rubble is really just a convience factor to make the cleaning of the sump easier.

I did get that, thanks though. And thanks for the laugh..

By the way, Lando, don't "boys" prefer the term "guys" or "men?" Just curious. "I am a boy" just cracked me up big time. You know, sometimes after i've been on this site for awhile, I just have to log off the internet to let my jaws and cheeks rest from all the FREAKIN' LAUGHING!

By the way, Lando, don't "boys" prefer the term "guys" or "men?" Just curious. "I am a boy" just cracked me up big time.
Hey...I'm only 33 and still very much a "boy" (just ask my wife!) :lol:

Back
Top Bottom