Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2004, 11:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Really high ammonia/nitrates

I have a 29 gal. "reef" tank with three anemones, 1 coral, 1 sponge, some snails, tubeworms, hermit crabs, and plants. I have really high ammonia and nitrates, although I have 0 nitrites and a ph of 8.2. my sponge is dying, and my anemones constantly move around and shrivel up. I don't really have the time or money to do a 10 gal. water change monthly, so is there another way of keeping the ammonia and nitrates down? thanks.

Old 01-21-2004, 11:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

you probably have ammonia because something is dieing; therefore, the ammonia is probably not the root of the problem, but being caused by the die off that the real problem is creating. Can you give us more info about your tank?

filtration, lighting, exact water perameters (ammonia, nitrate, ph, salinity, temp, CA, ALK)

how long has your tank been cycled? give us some more info and hopefully we can help ya!

Rosstifer

Old 01-21-2004, 11:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to melissfish
i had the same problem in my new tank and i added jbl bacteria i cant remember the name but it boasts 150000000 live bacteria to jump start your filtwer my ammonia went from 5 to 0 overnight
Old 01-22-2004, 12:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

more info

I have an undergravel filter with two powerheads. I have a twin tube flourescant light fixture, and a protein skimmer. I have Puka shells as the substrate, and some live rock. my ammonia level is 0.5ppm. Nitrate level is 80+(maybe 160). ph is 8.2. salinity is 1.22. temp is 82 degrees F. I don't know CA or alk. I have no nitrites. I hope this helps you help me!
Old 01-22-2004, 12:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

that sounds great! but, what is it? I f you can give me more info on that product I'd like to check it out
Old 01-22-2004, 12:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to melissfish
i dont have it with me (im at work) but it was a JBL product, i will check the label for you it was a product made in germany if that helps, but im not sure if the stores in oregon are going to stock the stuff we have here in australia? maybe try a similiar product, It is apparently a live bacteria culture., meant for cycling new tanks or at filter changes.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The coral, anemones, and spongue all require good lighting and pristine water conditions along with keeping a balanced calcium and alkalinity. Im not sure exactly what lights you have... im assuming its NO ? They also require a stable , mature tank that has been set up for a while. Im assuming that the anemone/coral/sponge have been dieing which would cause the ammonia to rise which could very well kill everything else in your tank if you dont fix things soon. I would try to do a large water change ASAP and give the dieing things back to the store.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The coral, anemones, and spongue all require good lighting and pristine water conditions along with keeping a balanced calcium and alkalinity. Im not sure exactly what lights you have... im assuming its NO ? They also require a stable , mature tank that has been set up for a while. Im assuming that the anemone/coral/sponge have been dieing which would cause the ammonia to rise which could very well kill everything else in your tank if you dont fix things soon. I would try to do a large water change ASAP and give the dieing things back to the store.

Tags
ammonia, high ammonia, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com