Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2004, 03:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to SWGuppie
REALLY stinky tank

Ok, i'm setting up my 55g tank, and I added some Sand today and some Live Sand...everything was good until I added the live sand, it was the most stomach turning smell i've ever had the joyful experience of smelling.....I bought it 2 days earlier, and left it in the tank bagged until i got the dry sand....and wow it smells so incredibly bad now!!! should I just do a HUGE water change? would that rid of this lovely smell?? I dunno what to do now... I just want the smell to go away, maybe it'll just work its way out?

Old 04-09-2004, 04:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you buy the "prebagged" live sand? if so it should have been fine. If it's real live sand did you leave it in the tank with no heater or anything?

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 04:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It will go away
how old is your tank? If you cycle with uncured LR, this will happen as well, basically its a die off causing this. If the tank is fairly mature, the bacteria should break this stuff down pretty quickly. Did it smell in the bag, or after it was in your tank for a while?
Old 04-09-2004, 05:16 PM   #4

Nope, its a brand new tank, and no I got it from the LFS. And it smelled as soon as I opened the bag. I guess its just cycling right now, which is good because its brand new. And i'm ordering my Live Rock (70 #s) from Liverocks.com......I used to get it from Tampa Bay Saltwater, but they are really expensive now that I see how much more reasonable everyone else is. So i'll have 108 pounds of rock all together...which should be good. (38 pounds from my current 29g tank will be going in the 55 after I get the 70#s all situated). SO anyways, back to the smell....SO it will dissipate after a while?
Old 04-10-2004, 02:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sure will Just another example of that dreaded patience thing this hobby (addiction) asks of us way too often. Just get out those old incense that have been stashed away for ten years.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:07 PM   #6

AHH!! The stinky is gone! HOORAY! !! And I am getting my 55 all set up, a Marine Biologist from the University of Florida helped me get my spirits up and told me a TON of information, and I am forever grateful for him! He pointed me to all the right directions, and i'm incredibly happy now!!!!! and, i'm gonna pick up my other 70#s of LR this upcoming weekend for my tank, and then i'll post a picture of the tank!

Also another question (sorry to get a bit off topic) Can I keep some corals under 2x65 Watt and 1x40 watt bulb? for a 55 g tank? (so basically 170 watts)
Old 04-10-2004, 05:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
what type of light is it? is it 03 or just white light? are they PC or VHO?
Old 04-10-2004, 08:10 PM   #8

They are PCs 10,000k Ultra-Daylight and Ultra-Actinic in the 2-65 Watt ones (they are those special bulbs by SmartLite) and just a standard 40 watt flourescent in other one.....

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com