Really want a Maroon Clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StaceyL

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been researching which fish will be a good choice in my new 30 gal. I am still a long way from getting fish, but I like to look :) I would really like to get a Maroon Clown. I have heard they have a lot of personality (some good & Bad), and I love the way they look. I would only get 1, since I do want to add other fish. Is this a good choice for a 30 gal tank? And if I got one, should it be my 1st fish added, or last?

A single Maroon would be fine in a 30g, but without any other fish unless you are willing to risk their demise. Maroons grow large and territorial. I personally wouldn't house an adult Maroon with any other fish in anything less than 45g and if a pair of Maroons at least a 60g.

What other clowns would you recommend, I really want more than just 1 fish in there! I was thinking a Goby, a firefish, a royal gramma, maybe a blenny.

Pair of percs, ocellaris, skunks, or clarkii are pretty common. No reason you couldn't have a pair of clowns (what I mentioned), a firefish or two, and a royal gramma.

I agree w/ Innovator. I had a Maroon clown in my 55 gal and it just got to be too much. By the time she reached about 4" she was just causing too much damage and I had to get rid of her. I now have a pair of Occ. clowns. They are very interesting to watch interact with each other and also smaller and a good deal less aggressive. HTH and good luck w/ your decision.

I have a small (a little over 1") maroon clown and I love it. It's the smallest fish in the tank and no other fishes bother it. I have just purchased a bullet goby and a Royal Gramma. Hopefully all will stay the same with no problems.

maroon clown and I love it.
Yeah, I was sad to see mine go, after having her for about 3 years. But you would be amazed at the size rock a 4" M. clown can move 8O
Not to mentioned destroying any coral that either grew or was placed anywhere near her anemone.

I am leaning towards a pair of Ocellaris or Percs. , what is the main difference between these two? I have tried to research on-line, and I am getting conflicting info.

I have a gold stripe maroon and a tomato clown in a 125 and they fight all the time. Not to the death but scrap all the time so I agree that the 30 would be kind of rough.

StaceyL said:
I am leaning towards a pair of Ocellaris or Percs. , what is the main difference between these two? I have tried to research on-line, and I am getting conflicting info.

AFAIK They are pretty much the same thing, just different patterns. They are both hardy, easy to keep.

I have a pair of ocellaris. The larger is wildcaught and the smaller is tankbred.

I put a gold stripe maroon in my 29Gal BioCube today. Seems to be doing fine. Of coarse, he happens to be the only fish in the tank at this point. ;)

Attachments

• hpim0533_147.jpg
    hpim0533_147.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 26
  • hpim0529_998.jpg
    hpim0529_998.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 29
Maroons are aggressive fish. Be careful if adding others to the tank, chances are they are gonna get harassed.

StacyL said:
what is the main difference between these two?
There is not much difference at all. The main physical differences are Percula's usually have thicker black borders around their white bands(usually..), and Ocellaris' get a little bigger. That and they are found in different locations naturally. But their personalities are very similar.

Of coarse, he happens to be the only fish in the tank at this point

What's done is done and it is too late to change, but for anyone else that may be pondering this, the aggressive fish should always be added last after the others have had a chance to establish territories.

Hara said:
Of coarse, he happens to be the only fish in the tank at this point

What's done is done and it is too late to change, but for anyone else that may be pondering this, the aggressive fish should always be added last after the others have had a chance to establish territories.
I am currently thinking of restocking and getting a maroon clown. So are you saying if i get the maroon last then everything should be ok later down the road?

no guarantees, what I am saying is that the chances of it working will be better than if it were the first fish added. I would also be sure to get a small one.

Try a cinnamon, they are a bit larger than percs, and really cool personalities. Would be a good sub for a maroon.

I agree with Lisa that there is no guarantee but the chances are better. Much better.

I really like them too but it is often said they could be vicious.

I just added a maroon clown to my 36 about a month ago and he's doing really well. I have a Dwarf lion that is about twice his size and a 6 line wrasse that's a little smaller...all perfectly cordial with one another. He actually seems to get a long really well with my wrasse; they're usually hanging out together.

I would warn that he is a really hearty eater though. He may out compete a fire fish or other fish that like to feed lower in the water column and he does frequently go after the smaller feeder fish for my dwarf.

Otherwise I highly recommend...he's one of my personal favorites.

Back
Top Bottom