Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-04-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Rearranging Live Rock

I have a 50 gallon, 4 month old tank with 2 Clarkii Clowns, 1 Royal Gramma, and assorted cleaners...20 lbs Fiji Rock, 30 lbs base, no coral yet.

I would like to rearrange my rocks and am wondering how I should approach this, and what I need to be concerned with...

Thanks in advance.

chrislmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Rearranging rock is a really bad idea. It can stress the fish out and cause them to die. If you must rearrange it, do as little as possible. You have room in that tank for 20 more lbs of LR if you want to add that and put that all nice, it would be a better idea.

37 gal all glass
50lb LR
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
i have re-arranged rock before. Just have an idea where you want the rock to go first and move it VERY SLOWLY. This keeps the sediment from moving around too much. Also, turn off your PH, as they will just blow the sediment around. Once done, you're tank will clear up in a few hours. It does stress the fish a bit, but if you do it slowly and not often, no big deal............just don't do it if you've just added a new fish that is already stressed. If they've been in their a while, you'll be fine, IMO.

JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:16 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with both - kinda. I think you can move the rock like JamesR described. I alo think that as you add coral, you'll be adding more rock anyway like Dragonforce described.

Thing is, you've got an opportunity to re-arrange with your coral in mind when you get it. Check out some of the coral at your LFS and the rocks they're typically on. Now, look at your own aquascape and see if you've got ledges, or crevices, or otherwise space to put coral. So, as you re-do the rock, you can make space for new rock/coral.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 03:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
i don't think moving rock around is a big deal. i've spent a fair amount of time doing it in my little tank and half the time my fish swim around my hand as my cleaner shrimp cleans it. just do as little as possible and go veeerrry slowly. it's easy for a coral to go tumbling or a structure to collapse. you might wanna unplug your heater as well.
15 gallon nano-reef (4 months old)
-pair of false percula clowns
-royal gramma
-convict blenny
-bubble coral
-clove polyps
-green hairy mushroom
-cleaner shrimp

Genix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I re arranged the rock in my 29G and the female perc clown became very aggressive toward her mate. Basically banning him to the opposite side of the tank at night. Other then that I only have CBS and now a snail in there. I don't think they cared 1 way or another.

To fail to plan is to plan to fail.
MarineFlake is offline   Reply With Quote

live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com