Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Excellent advice so far :)

Thank you so much guys, your assistance has been fantastic!!

Next set of questions:

Firstly, I forgot to make comment re: craigslist - is it worth the discount on a second hand unit to worry about what could come with it - e.g. bacteria, etc? Especially for a newcomer to the hobby is my biggest concern on buying a second-hand setup.

TheTodd, by Dwarf Angel did you mean around 3"? I was looking at one of either lemonpeel/bicolour/flame/coral beauty which all grow to around 3" apparently (please correct me if I am wrong) - although would they be too boisterous in a reef aquarium?

Ingy, thanks for the Live Aquaria link - I used that and learnt a lot about which species will go with what, and am going to take a look at a few lfs today.

By the sounds of it Blennies and Jawfish require sand substrate -= is this correct? I am seriously considering a bare-bottom tank, or maybe a small amount of sand (under 1") - any thoughts/comments on this? Was going to paint the back and bottom of the tank black (on the outside of course!!).

Panther17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Yes, those are dwarfs. Most sites (like liveaquaria or bluezoo) have them categorized as dwarf or large. There are also Pygmy angels (Pygmy, Flameback) that are even smaller and could do better with a reef. Angels can work, or not, in reefs. I've seen several with dwarfs that did fine, but have heard stories from others that nipped at certain corals. I think its luck of the draw on how the fish you purchase ends up being.

TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thank you so much

Thanks TheTodd,

So I am pretty close to removing Angelfish from my stocklist, however mainly looking at 'Coral Beauty' if I do select one.

What is everyone's thoughts on sand depth? Looking about 1-2" on my tank I think - what sand-dwelling fish and inverts will that allow me to have, and preclude me from having?

You guys are so awesome for dishing out all of your advice, etc.

Panther17 is offline   Reply With Quote

marine, reef, salt, saltwater, saltwater reef, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com