Recommended New Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,

I'm in a situation where I am looking to add some new fish, but am not sure what to add with respect to compatibility with my current inhabitants.

I was hoping that some of you could recommend some nice, hardy compatible fish? I have the vision to add a yellow tang at some stage also. Here's my tank specs:

Set Up
  • 36.25 x 14.25 x 21 inches (WxDxH), or 92.08 x 36.2 x 53.34 cm (WxDxH)
    46.96 US Gallons / 39.1 UK Gallons / 177.8 Liters
    2 x 3 foot long 10,000K fluros (1 blue [30W], 1 white[?W]).
    45KG live rock, fine sand bed.
    1 x external 1500L/hr canister filter, 4 layers (top to bottom) containing: prefilter + ammonia filter, crushed coral + black bioballs + active carbon (coconut), blue + black bioballs, blue + black bioballs.
    1 x internal 1500L/hr power head.

Inhabitants
  • 2 x ocellaris clowns (juveniles)
    1 x red blenny
    1 x golfball coral
    1 x brown anenome

Thanks all.

That's all I can have?? It's 3 foot long and 177 liters... surely I can have more?! I have a friend who has a 4 foot tank, but the same capacity of water and he has two tangs, a lionfish and a tomato clown... surely I can have more than that??

With that much LR you can definitely add another fish. The only thing you have to consider (other than current inhabitants) is the adult size of whatever fish you add. This is why mhaynes01 said a yellow tang wouldn't work, and you'll probably get the same response from most people here. They need plenty of swimming room and at the very least a 5' tank. It's not good practice to buy any fish that will eventually be too big for your tank, and your friend probably didn't get the correct advice when he started out.

As for which fish to get, the choice is really your preference. There's too many to choose from. I'm quite partial to dottybacks myself (fridmani pseudochromis).

Tangs shouldn't be kept in less than a 70g standard. Thats a minimum for them to be happy and low stress. Even when they're physically small in the tank, their habits require more swimming room than a similarly sized fish of other species. With what you currently have, you do have room for another fish or two. But SW should be stocked considerably lighter than FW, otherwise water condtions are very hard to control. And out of whack water does all kinds of bad things.

when i said "i think that your tank right where it needs to be in terms of stocking "
that it is my prefable choice of stockign now i might get a few smaller fish that are small who are small and stay small. but i think you have a wonderful tank already juat add some coral and maybe another anemone and you tank will look great.

and remember in a saltwater tank "its all about the inhabitants, and how happy they really are"

HTH

Okay well I would be in total agreance about my friend getting the wrong advice. It's funny that my canister wont work and that only mini-reef aquariums are the only ones that work, yet I have had less problems with my aquarium than he, and his has been established for about 2 years (mine < 1yr).

I would _like_ to get a tang but after some thought I agree. My problem is knowing the compatibility of the fish in the shop as they sometimes use names different to that on the forums. I do like things like flame, bi-color and korean angels which don't seem all that big (from what I have seen). Are these any good? I'll also check out the dottybacks.

How about a royal gramma? Nice disposition low maintainence. Or a blenny.
I agree about the tang.

Already got a red blenny (see my gallery).

Any other thoughts?

Starks damsel is a nice fish. I lost one to velvet, still looking. It had a nice disposition for a damsel. Still the Royal Gramma (see my gallery), Neon Goby, firefish.

Yeah they are damn nice. The only problem is it that in AU, they charge you up to $200 per one of those.

Besides I went to the local after some research and got myself a pair of fire goby fish. They're a little scared at the moment and both have found their "dart holes" but hopefully they come to life over the next couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom