Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2004, 01:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Recommended New Fish

Hi,

I'm in a situation where I am looking to add some new fish, but am not sure what to add with respect to compatibility with my current inhabitants.

I was hoping that some of you could recommend some nice, hardy compatible fish? I have the vision to add a yellow tang at some stage also. Here's my tank specs:

Set Up
  • 36.25 x 14.25 x 21 inches (WxDxH), or 92.08 x 36.2 x 53.34 cm (WxDxH)
    46.96 US Gallons / 39.1 UK Gallons / 177.8 Liters
    2 x 3 foot long 10,000K fluros (1 blue [30W], 1 white[?W]).
    45KG live rock, fine sand bed.
    1 x external 1500L/hr canister filter, 4 layers (top to bottom) containing: prefilter + ammonia filter, crushed coral + black bioballs + active carbon (coconut), blue + black bioballs, blue + black bioballs.
    1 x internal 1500L/hr power head.

Inhabitants
  • 2 x ocellaris clowns (juveniles)
    1 x red blenny
    1 x golfball coral
    1 x brown anenome

Thanks all.

flanque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 01:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mhaynes01
i do not think a yellow tang will work in that size aquarium.

i think that your tank right where it needs to be in terms of stocking

Old 06-19-2004, 02:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

You can check out this Compatibility Chart. This might help you out

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/c...lity_chart.cfm
Old 06-19-2004, 06:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's all I can have?? It's 3 foot long and 177 liters... surely I can have more?! I have a friend who has a 4 foot tank, but the same capacity of water and he has two tangs, a lionfish and a tomato clown... surely I can have more than that??
Old 06-19-2004, 07:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

With that much LR you can definitely add another fish. The only thing you have to consider (other than current inhabitants) is the adult size of whatever fish you add. This is why mhaynes01 said a yellow tang wouldn't work, and you'll probably get the same response from most people here. They need plenty of swimming room and at the very least a 5' tank. It's not good practice to buy any fish that will eventually be too big for your tank, and your friend probably didn't get the correct advice when he started out.

As for which fish to get, the choice is really your preference. There's too many to choose from. I'm quite partial to dottybacks myself (fridmani pseudochromis).

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 08:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tangs shouldn't be kept in less than a 70g standard. Thats a minimum for them to be happy and low stress. Even when they're physically small in the tank, their habits require more swimming room than a similarly sized fish of other species. With what you currently have, you do have room for another fish or two. But SW should be stocked considerably lighter than FW, otherwise water condtions are very hard to control. And out of whack water does all kinds of bad things.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mhaynes01
when i said "i think that your tank right where it needs to be in terms of stocking "
that it is my prefable choice of stockign now i might get a few smaller fish that are small who are small and stay small. but i think you have a wonderful tank already juat add some coral and maybe another anemone and you tank will look great.

and remember in a saltwater tank "its all about the inhabitants, and how happy they really are"

HTH
Old 06-19-2004, 10:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Okay well I would be in total agreance about my friend getting the wrong advice. It's funny that my canister wont work and that only mini-reef aquariums are the only ones that work, yet I have had less problems with my aquarium than he, and his has been established for about 2 years (mine < 1yr).

I would _like_ to get a tang but after some thought I agree. My problem is knowing the compatibility of the fish in the shop as they sometimes use names different to that on the forums. I do like things like flame, bi-color and korean angels which don't seem all that big (from what I have seen). Are these any good? I'll also check out the dottybacks.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
How about a royal gramma? Nice disposition low maintainence. Or a blenny.
I agree about the tang.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Already got a red blenny (see my gallery).

Any other thoughts?

Tags
new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com