Recommended Razor Blades for Cleaning Glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanphyre

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can you guys please tell me what kind of razor blades you use to clean the hard coralline off your glass? I have a Kent plastic scraper, that I thought would be good to avoid scratching the glass. But, it works for crap, I have to push really hard on it, and it still doesn't get a lot of the spots off.

I went to several stores and only can find the exacto knifes and stuff. I can't see these working, I needs something where I can get the flat end of the blade on the glass and apply some pressure.

Any brands / makes / models / pics / etc. would be really appreciated. I can't see through the sides of my tank anymore! :D

Look up Kent Pro Scraper M. That's what I use. Can get various sized scraper holder thingys
for the palm, 10" or so up to about 20" long.

I used to use a metal paint scraper, now I scrub it off with my Marine magnetic scraper.

Look for single edged razor blades. These are the type that fit into plastic or metal handles for scraping paint off glass. Look in the paint section of the hardware store or building store. I generally use them as is, but you could use them in a plastic handle. One edge is wrapped with a metal strip, hence, the name "single edged razor". Just ask for them in one of those places, but, they are usually found near the paint.

Thanks guys, wow those were fast replies! :)

I'm going to chec out the Hardware store as well as the Kentmarine stuff. I do have a Kent Marine Scraper Long with the plastic surface, but doesnt work as well as I'd like.

Credit cards work for the non coraline algaes so do plastic razor blades ....I use to use metal but they rust , now I use hemostats with the plastic blades ...
plastic blade link

I picked up one of these: http://www.easybladeusa.com/

Shop around vendors for a good price. Basically, you super glue the mount to the back of your magnetic algae cleaner. When you need to scrape coraline you just attach the metal scraper blade to it and use it just like you would to clean normal algae. I like this for the obvious "arms not in the tank" reasons :)

The only draw back is that you do have to take the blades off when done, they are NOT stainless and so will rust if you leave them in the tank. But if you dry them well when your done the you dont have to worry and they keep just fine. The algae magnet works just fine with it attached and I haven't had any problems with it.

Lots of choices out there! Since I was too lazy to run to the Hardward store this week, I had a Kent Pro Scraper Short with 2 metal blades shipped out. I put one blade in the Short, and one in my Long Kent scraper.

Let me say.. OMG! The Coralline came off like butter! I had the whole tank clean in less than 20 minutes. :) I screwed up bad the first time with using a plastic scraper, don't know what I was thinking. I don't even have to apply much pressure with the metal one, it is night and day.

So thanks again everyone, hopefully this post helps some others out with options for keeping the viewing surface clean!

I use a car ice scraper with the long handle (brand new, never used of corse :) ) The trick is not to use it flat all the time, a little tilt and use its edge works great for me. Works like a charm and it won't scratch the glass or rust. Also the long handle keeps me from getting wet :wink:

LouieB said:
I use a car ice scraper with the long handle (brand new, never used of corse :) ) The trick is not to use it flat all the time, a little tilt and use its edge works great for me. Works like a charm and it won't scratch the glass or rust. Also the long handle keeps me from getting wet :wink:
very ingenious :D

Back
Top Bottom