Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2003, 03:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Recovering Clownfish

If you haven't read my other thread in this forum titled "Tank Meltdown!" and you want some background on this, just read the thread...

The clownfish nearly died on us, but we got him into a QT tank, and he seems to be recovering. About a day after we put him in the QT tank he was laying on his side, and I thought he'd be dead in an hour tops. Well, here I am three days after that and he's still around. He had fin rot so we treated him with Kanacyn, and today is his last treatment. He's swimming fairly normally, but there are two problems. First, he doesn't move around in the tank much (not that there is any reason to in a bare 10-gallon QT tank). Secondly, he won't eat.

I've tried putting garlic both in the tank (1 drop per 10 gallons) and on his food. He won't eat flakes, pellets, or brine. I'm considering putting him back in the main tank (which seems to be safe at this point) after his Kanacyn treatment is done. The fin rot seems to be completely under control now, but his fins did sustain a pretty significant amount of damage.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get him to eat and help him continue recovering? This is my wife's fish, so I have more than just a $15 fish on the line.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:30 PM   #2
steve-s

What are the ammonia and nitrites in the QT?

Fish will act adversely if these are detectable at all and may stop eating. Also a "bare" QT is not advisable as the lack of hiding spaces and secure sleeping spaces will also add to the stress of the fish. Adding a few short pieces of PVC is always recommended.

Moving the clown back to the main tank could do more harm than good. Until the clown is back to full health, it would be best left in the QT were it can get the proper TLC. Until you are 100% sure the main tank is free of any further maladies, I would not suggest adding any animals to it.

I would also suggest keeping up with the normal feedings and soaking with garlic. In a small QT, adding garlic directly to the water can overwelm the fishs' senses and may not be such a good idea.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-14-2003, 11:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The QT tank water parameters were okay. So are the parameters in the main tank. Now, this is my wife's fish, so she does what she wants with it, and I just make suggestions. She moved him back to the main tank last night because the Kanacyn treatments were done. He's in the main tank now with a domino damsel who is in a breeder net so he won't pick on the clownfish.

What do you recommend I do in terms of feeding? What should I feed? I've tried flakes, pellets, and frozen brine with no success... Should I try live brine? If he doesn't eat them, is it a problem for them to continue swimming around in the tank? How would I soak live brine in garlic?

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 08-14-2003, 12:24 PM   #4
steve-s

You could try the live brine as well as mysis shrimp. At this point it is not important what you feed the fish, the main concern is getting them to eat. You can worry about proper foods later. I would however suggest adding some zoe or selcon to improve the foods nutrition.

I have never tried adding garlic to water with live brine so I have no idea what the result would be but since the clown is unfortunately back in the main tank you could simpley add a drop or two to the water instead of the food.

No offence to you or your wife but I think it should be pointed out the wish's of the "keeper" are not as important as the needs of the animal care in question

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-14-2003, 12:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, we both kind of figured that being in a larger, more familiar environment, with a more established filtration, more hiding places and such, would be worthwhile. We only had him in the QT tank for two reasons...

1) to get him away from whatever was in my main tank at the time that caused the meltdown
2) to treat him with Kanacyn

Both of those reasons had passed at this point. We thought it was the best thing.

Tags
clown, clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com