recycle tank- fastest way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leesanhua

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 90 gallon tank. what is the fastest way to get it fully recycle? i know it normally takes a month to get a tank recycle but does anyone have any ideas ... ?

I'd recommend the normal, raw shrimp cycle. Sounds like you might be looking for a shortcut, but I've found the easiest way to mess up and waste money and time is to take shortcuts. Take the 4-5 weeks and I think you'll be better off in the longrun. Folks have used Bio Spira and put fish in the following day. It's just that I've seen so many mess up adding too many fish. This is a very exciting hobby and its REAL hard to take your time. I know that too.

Best of luck. 8)

If you use enough of the LS and LR thats cured and well mature than no but the key word is enough. For a 90 tal tank I would say at a minimum 90 lbs of very mature live sand (not the junk they sell in bags in the store) and 150lbs of mature cured live rock that has not been shipped recently.

Given that much live sand and live rock can be VERY expensive its suggested to get smaller amounts of live sand and to seed some dead sand or dry sand with this live sand and to seed base rock with nice live rock as well as use the shrimp method.

Your still a few weeks away from being able to put fish in the tank and not have to worry about the slightest over feeding causing deadly ammounts of ammonia.

Just a little tidbit to add. A wise experenced reefer once told me "Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank". You will find this to have much more truth than just a precautionary statement.

leesanhua said:
how many pounds of sands shoule i put into the tank? what about LR?
I used this when calculating my sand purchase
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/calcs2.php?type=sanddepth

Though i have not added it (Still have CC)

From previous posts elsewhere on this board I have seen 1.5-2lbs of LR per gal

Everyone else feel free to correct me if wrong :)
I spend more time on this board than I do tending my tank hehehe
(Not that it either needs me at all )

You`ll probably need about 90 to 100 lbs of live rock and 20 to thirty lbs of sand. But let me add that by the things you are asking it sounds like you have not done your research on salt water aquaria. If I was you I would read up on this site and others about starting this hobby.Not everything is all about how wonderful it looks. There is hard work and patience and care for the occupants of your tank.Some of which I think you need practice on. If it makes you feel any better ,me too.

heheh actually i do have 2 saltwater tank at home. it's 15 gal and a 30 gal. But, i forgot most of it already.

Back
Top Bottom