Recycle Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

casper3t

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey what should i do with the water i took out when i do the water change? do you think i can put in another tank and let it cycle and reuse it?... what do you readers do?

If you are that environmental concious, which I comend you for if you are, dump it on your lawn. Just make sure you spread it around. Fertilizer, DUUUUUDE.

Andrej

I wouldn't be inclined to pour saltwater on your lawn... I don't think the grass would like that so much. I think you have to dump it.

Phyl said:
I wouldn't be inclined to pour saltwater on your lawn... I don't think the grass would like that so much. I think you have to dump it.

It would be nice to know for sure if the salt is damaging to the lawn or garden plants. I know it is highly advised to use the water change water for your lawn, household plants, or garden plants because of the nutrients in the water.

So, I think the original post was a valid one deserving educated responses.

The salt would hurt it. However, some of us (me in particular) have fw tanks as well. Thats what I do with my fw water change.

Andrej

hforney said:
I think the original post was a valid one deserving educated responses

When I had a pond (very little salt in there, comparably) I poured it into the lawn. The salt in the SW tanks though is more than I believe lawns to be able to tolerate.

It was an educated response. Thanks.

I thought all of the responses were fine. So is a sense of humor. Personally, I'm starting a crusade against political correctness. People are getting WAY too easily offended these days. Our ridiculous leaders are even finding fault with cartoons (which one was the gay teletubby, I forget?). Let's just all relax and enjoy each others' information, and yes, on occasion, sense of humor, too.

well is there a way to like recycle it? instead of dumping? it seems like a waste of water, i think the only thing wrong with my water is because the nitrate is too high... can't you just filter that out?

Not only is the nitrate too high, but unless you are dosing ALL of the trace elements it is missing some of those as well. If you're really concerned then add more live rock, a fuge with some chaeto and start dosing as many trace elements as you can test for. Then you won't need to do a water change :mrgreen: problem solved!

There's more to the water change than just getting rid of the trates, unfortunately!

Back
Top Bottom