Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2006, 09:33 AM   #11
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm getting a PO4 test kit today so I'm going to test my tank and then my tap water before and after ROI/DI.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:50 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Test kit is a great idea..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:46 PM   #13
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, I got my PO4 test kit today!!! Finally! And tested my tank water... It was about 0.25.

My filtered water had no PO4 at all.

Unfiltered tap water had a significant amount of PO4... about 2. But that was no surprise. At least I know the test kit works! I still put in some Rowa Phos though (a very small dose) to absorb whatever PO4 and Si that is leaching out of my live rocks and substrate.

Think I'll get a fish this weekend. Maybe a clown.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:55 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
lr/substrate usually only leach very small amounts of po4 and is easily controlled by a good 10% pwc each week. More then likely your po4 is accumulating from whatever food you put in the tank. Flake is the worst offender IME and why I stick to frozen more which seems to get eaten more quickly and contains less po4 if properly thawed/rinsed.

The Rowa Phos is really only a Band-Aid solution to keeping po4 to a minimum. I’d try feeding more frozen and less flake and reduce your feedings to every other day and the quantity to what your tank consumes in <5 minutes.

Since you only have snails (hermits??) you should only have to add about ¼ of a cube or less of frozen every other day at this point.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:05 AM   #15
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well actually I was thinking of adding 1 fish this week. Maybe a perculia clown or a yellow tail damsel or a royal gramma or.... a dwarf angel fish. i was going to get the dwarf last... from what i've read... it seems to be the last fish you should drop into the tank because of his behaviour even though he's very hard. i also had my eye on a 6 line wrasse or maybe a gobie.

out of those fish... which would be the best starter fish? i was thinking a clown or a damsel - leaning more towards the clown seeing as damsels are so aggressive and i don't think i want him in my community tank. though the damsel does eat algae... hmmm... thoughts?

thanks!
Lloyd
Old 03-29-2006, 10:24 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

I’ve never seen my damsels eat algae either on the lr or the nori I feed my tang. ime they are strictly carnivores and will even snub flake unless that is all you feed. I am quite fond of my yellow tail damsel which is fairly small and has a great personality. They can get aggressive as they mature but mine is quite laid back. It often varies from fish to fish though.

I also have a Blue Green Chromis which is considered a damsel but is the least aggressive fish in my tank. It has grown 1” in the last 9 months and maxes out around 3”

I’m not a huge fan of clowns myself but they are entertaining to watch with their bobbing motion. They do fine without anemones and I would get a “tank raised” False Percula if you do get one. They are prone to getting ich also and since you don’t have a qt tank I’d personally avoid them.

The Six Line Wrasse would be a good addition but some can be picky eaters.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:08 AM   #17
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Blue Green Chromis are gorgeous fish. I love them but I hear that they are schooling fish and you need to get at least three.

What's the difference between a true perucala clown and a false one?

You've sort of sold me on the yellow tail damsel. We'll see... If I get two very tiny fish then maybe I'll opt for him and a clown. Otherwise, just a clown. I just can't help it they are such cute fish. If it means getting a qt eventually then so be it! I'm a sucker.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:07 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2
Blue Green Chromis are gorgeous fish. I love them but I hear that they are schooling fish and you need to get at least three.

What's the difference between a true perucala clown and a false one?
I have also heard that getting them in odd pairs is better but I’ve also heard that they can pick on others of their kind and often kill them. That’s the main reason why I only have one and it has worked out very well for me. It’s a very active fish and is a joy to watch.

The only difference in the clowns is the True Percula is slightly smaller and usually slightly more money. Both can be purchased as tank raised and usually the tank raised fish are less ich prone and generally will eat better since growing up in a tank is all it’s known. Wild caught clowns are generally more picky eaters, more ich prone, and if habited an anemone in the wild will likely miss it.

Edit:
Also if you do get 3 Blue Green Chromis which max out at 3” then that puts you at 9” total which considering your tank size (12 gal) it would exceed your fish limit. I would stick to one so you could enjoy other fish.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:47 PM   #19
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the download of info.

Most small fish get as large as 3" so if I want to stock my tank with 3 fish. 1 clown, 1 dwarf angel and 1 (something else, maybe a royal gramma or other)... then will that max out my tank? what is the maximum amount of fish i can really go for? am i screwed? and can only get 2 and not 3?

thanks!
LL
Old 03-29-2006, 01:12 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

True perculas have thicker black bands than the false's do. FYI, Nemo, is a false.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg true_percula_150.jpg (19.0 KB, 614 views)
File Type: jpg amphiprion_ocellaris_false_percula_clownfish27517_198.jpg (37.7 KB, 11 views)

Tags
algae, red algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com