Red Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stock is determined by a ton of factors but tank size is the most limiting. The “general rule is 1” of fish per 5 gal but following that rule only gives you one 3” fish for your 12 gal tank!

Of course the other determining factors are the quality of filtration, pwc schedule, and the type of fish you get.

You have a skimmer and are performing 10+% pwc each week so two of those things allow you to slightly exceed the “rule”.

By buying thinner longer fish like clowns, damsels, ect… and not a fatter or messy eater also helps extend that rule slightly ie: not a puffer, trigger, lion, ect…

The use of a sump to extend total water volume also helps with keeping your nh3/no2/no3 in check.

Total length/height of the tank also has to be considered ie: a 55 gal tank gives you roughly 11”-14” of adult fish length but that doesn’t mean a Dog Face Puffer or Sailfin Tang which reach about that size should be attempted.

Main thing to take into consideration is that SW doesn’t exchange oxygen as well as FW does and greatly overstocking a tank will lead to suffocation if power is out longer then 4 hours. A generator or battery back up is highly recommended if slightly overstocking since all the filtration in the world is completely useless without power.

With all that said many people successfully keep 3-4 small fish in a 12 gal nano tank.

oki doki. i've got my check list... lots of good stuff to think about.

does anyone have any experience with dwarf angelfish under 3"? are they messy eaters? from what i've read they seem like pretty good fish to keep in a nano reef setup.

also, does anyone else have any experience with keep a damsel chromis on its own and not in a school of fish? i was thinking of getting one for a community tank setup.

ryguy said:
True perculas have thicker black bands than the false's do. FYI, Nemo, is a false.
Good point, I always forget that. :oops: I think a lot of people like the true ones because they are a little smaller also. I can only guess that the false ones are a little cheaper since the “Finding Nemo” movie caused more aqua farmers to raise them and created a cheaper supply/demand price point.

Back
Top Bottom