Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Red Algae?

Hey again,

So I think I have red algae on my live rock, right at the base by the substrate. It's very dark red and plant like... Sort of looks like it's just sprouting. Is it red algae or am I wrong? Is red algae bad?

I know I have brown algae and green hair algae... A third algae!? ai yai yai. Maybe I should throw in the Phos-Zorb.

Lloyd

Old 03-26-2006, 10:17 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
pictures would help us ID a little easier....any chance of getting any?

Old 03-26-2006, 10:29 PM   #3
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

This is a MACRO shot of some of the rock. Now that I've zoomed in I think I can even see some bubble algae... hmmmmm... Maybe I really should use some Phos-Zorb... I've got Chemi-Pur in my filter... The tank is 16 DAYS old. I think I have every kind of algae (brown, green, red and now tiny bubbles)... But it hasn't taken over my tank. I try to keep it under control as best I can.

Do you think I should put in the Phos-Zorb...?

Lloyd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_2375_167.jpg (93.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 03-26-2006, 10:39 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
If your tank is only 16 days old, it needs to cycle.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:52 PM   #5
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok, I'll hold off for a bit... and see what happens before putting in at Phosphate abosorber like RowaPhos and the likes.

Thanks!

Otherwise, my Amonia is 0. NO2 is 0. And NO3 is almost 0 - less than 10 for sure. pH is at 8.0. SG is at 1.024. How do you know when a tank has fully finished cycling?
Old 03-27-2006, 10:26 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
It could be crano from the photo you provided. Your snails usually won’t touch it and you may have to remove it manually. I’d keep the lights off or at the most a couple of hours since you don’t have corals/fish yet for the next couple of weeks so you don’t encourage it to grow further. Get that po4 test so you at least know if you have po4 in the tank.

Also keep in mind that you can get a 0 reading when testing for po4 in the main tank and still have po4 in the tank that is getting used by the algae. That’s why it’s always a good idea to test the pwc water, food, & storage containers to rule them out as a po4 source.

As far as cycling, you never had a nh3/no2 reading that was significant so that leads me to believe your tank has never fully cycled but does have significant bacteria to support going very slowly forward with any additions.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:36 AM   #7
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm getting a PO4 test kit today.

What brand do you guys reccomend as a PO4 absorber?

RowaPhos
Schem Phos-Guard
or Phos-Zorb

?
Old 03-27-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I’ve only used the Phos-Guard personally and it reduced a tank reading of .2 to 0 within 3 days. Not sure how well it would have done with a higher reading.

I haven’t any experience with the other brands so hopefully someone who does will chime in.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:24 PM   #9
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...004/review.htm

So hmmmm... Are you guys suggesting I not use any PO4 remover if I get a high reading when I get a kit and test for PO4 and wait a few more weeks?

Could using a PO4 absorber hurt my tank if it's only 3 weeks old? I just want to make sure this algae problem doesn't get out of hand and I know that part of that is trying to control it before it does. Right now I'm looking at 3-4 different kinds in my tank that are slowly developing.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dont rush into buying things you may not need. New tanks go through stages and the algae may burn out on its own. Sit back and relax during the cycle and read read and read some more about the hobby..
Get used to the tank, test the water on a regular basis, get a schedule for the top off of the tank and wait and see what happens. If you still have issues after the cycle then start working on a cure. Are you using Tap water??

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, red algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com