Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2013, 02:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

what is this red algae like stuff on top of the sand?

Hi! I need some help guys.....I have this red algae like stuff on top of my sand......does anyone know what is causing this? My nitrates are 10....Phosphates 0....nitrites 0....ammonia 0....and salinity 0.124. ...also would my tuxedo urchin take care of it....is there any inverts that would clean the sand bed? And lastly how can I get rid of it, and keep it from coming back....? Thanks a bunch!!!

29 gallon biocube.....1 clowfish.....1 sixline wrasse.....coral beauty angel fish. ...watchman goby. ...short spinned sea urchin....bubble tip anenome. ...choco chip star fish. ...brittle star....and a few snails.
cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sorry, but I am going to have to really stress that you need to only make one post per topic. There is no need to have three different threads for the same issue.

Can you post a picture of the issue? Also, what do you run for filtration and flow in the tank?

Old 12-13-2013, 03:05 AM   #3

I use the biocube filter....and in the same chamber under that filter I use esither API Phos-zorb or API Chem-zorb. ....I clean the filter and filter media several times a week....sorry I don't have any pics...
29 gallon biocube.....1 clowfish.....1 sixline wrasse.....coral beauty angel fish. ...watchman goby. ...short spinned sea urchin....bubble tip anenome. ...choco chip star fish. ...brittle star....and a few snails.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancun View Post
Hi! I need some help guys.....I have this red algae like stuff on top of my sand......does anyone know what is causing this? My nitrates are 10....Phosphates 0....nitrites 0....ammonia 0....and salinity 0.124. ...also would my tuxedo urchin take care of it....is there any inverts that would clean the sand bed? And lastly how can I get rid of it, and keep it from coming back....? Thanks a bunch!!!
It is a Cyano bacteria .
Also known as red slime algae .
Cause is , high nitrates , phosphates ,
What are you using for water ?
Even though you are testing 0ppm for phosphates there are phosphates in there .
I had the same problem before switching to RODI water .
As soon as I switched and added rowaphos to my canister for a media it was gone instantly .
Phosphates soak into the rocks and over time they will not be detectable .
How often do you do water changes ?
2)
I had a urchin and it worked amazing on algae .
It was more into the coralline algae , and hard algae on the glass .
They don't do well with nitrates and makes their quills fall out .
Old 12-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #5

Talking

Wow! Thank you for the info! I use RO water to top the tank off....and buy my salt water from my lfs.....I do a 10% water chg every other week religiously.....Yea it is strange....it is just on one spot in my tank....is there a good way to clean it up out of my sand?
Old 12-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

We have an article about it in our sw articles section.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have the same problem and it's only one side of my tank too. Gonna add some better snails tomorrow.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #8

Thank you! I will check out that article! I appreciate all the help!!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Although I don't think snails will help with red algae , I need them for my sand bed as it's filthy!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #10

Wink

LOL! My sand bed is too......I read you can try siphoning deitrus and stuff from the sand bed but I haven't tried it yet.....has anyone tried that? Or does anyone have any ideas to make the sand bed cleaner? Thanks again everyone!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com