Red chile up or down??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefobsessed

Aquarium Advice Freak
These are beautiful but strange little creatures. They are clearly a nocturnal animal which makes my flashlight views funner but I dont know how to place them. Up with the stock in the gravel or hanging down off a ledge. During the day they seem to melt on a ball and only come out to stand again at night. What is working for you. I am concerned about damage to the side that is down and touching gravel...

what exactly is it? im curious lol do you have a link to any sites with it?

Sorry I was not more specific. The common name is strawberry chili or red chili. The offical name is caroltalcyon. There is a picture on the web page of the company I bought it from although not a good one & I have to run so I cant play right now. The address is aquacon.com/ss74.htm should take you right to it. They are cool & I would recommend one. During the day they shrink up but the color is still bright red. By night they get tons of little white blooms and puff up. I have had one for over six months the other I just got but he is huge...

Red Chilis are non-photosynthetic, so you need to make sure you feed it when it is open. As with most non-photosynthetic corals, if you start feeding earlier and earlier...it may start opening up duing the day ;)

Thanks Kevin as always youve been more then helpful....I have never fed the poor thing. He got to be starved.. Ill start today. By the way, at your advise in an earlier forum I nuked my apistasia with lemon juice yesterday and this morning was able to pull their dead carci off my rocks. WOW that was fast... :lol:

My Chili likes to hang upsidedown :? It kindof dangles during the day, and at night, it opens up. Practially doubles in size and starts to reach towards the top of the tank. I have tried moving it so always stands upright, but it doesnt like that, and always leans back over.

Reefrunner says we are supposed to be feeding these guys. What and how often do you feed?? I feel bad mine have been neglected.... :oops:

The Chili coral is a meat eater so your best bet would be either blender mush or other small micron food, just use sparingly.

Cheers
Steve

Mine gets fed when i feed the rest of my tank. I feed blender mush about 1-2 hours before my night cycle, with a mix of bioplankton, every 2 to 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom