Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Red diatoms and algea - help

Hey gang. I need help. Had this tank for over 3 years. I am experiencing red diatoms and green "slime" algea on my LR. Heres the needed info.
-100 gallon reef.
-30 gallon sump/fuge
-1 Aqua C remora Skimmer (and recently cleaned)
-3 fish
-lots of circulation
-VHO lightening 660 watts
-150 lbs of LR

I have been trying everything possible to get rid of the above issues. I feed every other day - rinsed frozen food and very little when feeding. I have changed 4 of my 6 VHO bulbs out in the past 1 month. My temp is until recently is around 80-82. I have since lowered it to 77-78 as I have heard higher temps are prime conditions for algea. I also have about 50-100 small naurissae snails as well as a few crabs.
I dont know what to do about the red diatoms and algea. I have been doing weekly water changes of 10-15% as well. Any suggestions?

fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
What are your water parameters? Particularly phosphates and nitrates? The red diatoms sound like cyanobacteria. Looks like your on the right track to battling the issues. You might want to try doing some larger water changes for a while and see if that helps. Also, there is an article on cyano in our articles section that may be able to help. HTH

Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
It does sound like your doing what you should do . Keep doing it and in time you should be OK . Do as fluff said and check nitrates and phosphates which are clear fuel elements for this stuff
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
What type of water are you using? tap, ro, ro/di

testing the tank water and top off water and post some numbers for us.
Phosban reactors work well for cyno and there are no snail or crabs that will eat it till its gone.
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
What exactly do you have for circulation?
demodiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
My levels are as follows.
Ammonia 0
Trates 0
Trites 0
Phos 0

Im using RODI water. Also I forgoto to mention Im currently using Phosban as well. I have heard its very effective. ALso I have 2 returns from my sump as circulation as well as 7 maxijets inside the tank as well for circulation (1200 series). Its like a freaking hurricane by the looks of my corals!!
Please post any other suggestions! It seems the more water changes I do the worse it gets. The red diatoms seem to come up in the same places each day. Its not red SLIME like regular cyno...
Also the filters on my RODI water were replaced about 4 months ago...

fishman is offline   Reply With Quote

algea, diatom, diatoms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com