Red emerald crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimberly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I saw one of these in the lfs and it was beautiful. LFS said that it was exactly like an emerald crab, but red (hence the name). Also said that they were reef safe and good at cleaning up algae, etc. Is this accurate info? We have a 92 gal reef tank with live rock, 2 chromis and 2 clowns, a green bubble anemone and assorted hitchhikers including a hermit crab. We are also starting to have algae and I would like to take care of it before it takes over the tank.

Thanks,
Kimberly

emerald crabs are npot really reef safe. They can catch small fish and kill them. My LFS has one that they feed fish. Sally lightfoots are the same way. They also have a big angler in a showtank that used to have a sally lightfoot in it. I sat there one day and watched the sally light foot sit on the angler right beside it's mouth and pick off fish before the angler could get them...... so like I said, "crabs" as in true crabs aren't really all that reef safe and are better used as puffer food ;)
my $.02 (gathered from what I have personally witnessed)

Get some blue legged hermits if you need a cleanup crew. That and and some snails

My green emeralds are fine. The red ones were mowing down my corals so out they went. I gave away 5 of them to a guy without a reef.

Back
Top Bottom