Red growth on substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdwire

Aquarium Advice Regular
This red growth, presumably some type of algae, just started showing in my tank recently. Can anyone help me identify or let me know if this is good, bad or indifferent. Also since I do not have a true DSB (only about 2 inch deep bed) should I vaccum this stuff up?

Thanx.

it could be cyano. This is an undesirable form of alge that usually grows and comes off in thin sheets.

What eats it?

Hi, Just joined the board while looking around the internet for information on this very organism.

Glad there was a picture (in fact the picture looks like it was taken right from my tank!)

The question I have on this organism is what (if any) types of other critters eat it? I currently have Turbo snails and a Chocolate Chip Starfish in the tank. I assume that neither of these feed on this Red algae stuff?

Also, I think it look nice in the tank in the "field" it is in. So, would it be a problem to just let it alone or will it quickly over run the entire tank?

Thanks

ScubaTek

it will overrun your tank. Turbos will sometimes eat it, but they cannot eat it fast enough. You need to suck it up and reduce your lighting, feeding and increase your water flow. But most important, keep sucking it up!

Back
Top Bottom