Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-23-2015, 09:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Red Sea aquarium

Hi all,
I'm finally making the plunge into saltwater! I'm thinking of getting a Red Sea Reefer system and I'm curious. So I wanted to hear some opinions. If you have a Red Sea system currently, how do you like it? Or would you have preferred to build it up yourself?
I have a couple of freshwater tanks and I'm excited for the options a reef tank brings.

Other than the obvious, patience, whats the best advice you have received starting up?

BGK21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:49 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
Overpriced for what you can put together on your own. The sump they have is small and makes it impossible to upgrade components. Extremely small under the tank too.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
I agree that they are overpriced, BUT if I had the money and was looking for an all in one type system this is what I would consider. But I am a fan of the all in ones to begin with like the biocubes and Innovative Marine tanks. I feel they are a better fit for the beginner as well, keeps it simple and lets you get an idea of what is needed far as equipment for example. But those Red Seas are a bit pricey for a lesson. lol
Good luck, if you go for it be sure to post back. My LFS has one and it's gorgeous.
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Its a very nice system and expensive. It is more geared toward people who wants saltwater but doesn't like to setup all those equipments thenselves.

Also, expansion and mod on these are limited.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Toffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:21 PM   #5
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
best to start fresh building your own system as you know what you want and most of the equipment can be transferred to a bigger system later down the line , better investment than a pre built kit and a little cheaper IMO
Fish are like lifesavers
They come in different colors

54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
I've ordered a clearseal reefspace 900. Don't. Know if you can get them where you are. They are loads cheaper and better in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Adamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I love my Red Sea max 130. It was a really easy setup. I'm completely new to saltwater so it was good that it came with everything for me

Leea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist
Red Sea aquarium

I believe the reefer series includes all plumbing and sump.

The max, is the aio.

Depending on the space you have, the reefer series is promising due to you would not have to worry about building, measuring etc.. For anything except lighting and desired filtration.

Expensive, but for those who don't enjoy the "build", it's a great product.

I enjoy the build, and absolutely would not do another AIO. Not enough room to work with.

Chefjpaul is offline   Reply With Quote

aquarium, red, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com