Red sea max 130

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prawn-Head

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I pick up the new addition on Sat. Need some ideas on set up.
Ok, its a second hand red sea max 130 ,empty. Need to know best sandto be using, how much live rock and how should i be setting up the filter?
I would really like to have the finished tank as a showcase for nice colours of corals and rock with some active couloful fish to keep things interesting. Wanting to do a no rushed build in progress and time is no restraint. Would like to take time to complete a fantastic build but cant prommise i wont get overexcited.
Lets do it!

For sand I recommend dry aragonite sand. And you'll want 1-2lbs of Live Rock per gallon as well.

What kind of lighting do you have?

I've only recently heard of the red sea max tanks and I'm so jealous! Did you get everything from the seller? hood, stand, filter, lights?

Yes its a complete red sea max 130, standard lighting, i am looking at upgrading the skimmer intake to the 130d and adding ventilation fans before filling.
Will keep you guys updated on the build as it happens

I just recently heard about those tanks pretty good deal

yeah ive been looking for a used one for a while seems lots of people have been hearing about them recently as they keep getting picked up by someone other than me...
but cant wait to see your build!

Use searchtempest and you can look at many areas surrouning yours a $300 rsm may be worth a daytrip... At least it would imo

Forgot the $ sign

Even at 200 miles away youre saving
A buck a mile... Just thought id point that out but i understand completely

Mine has cost$450 Au.and is complete with full marie test kit,refractometer and some plakkie water containers and i only have to travel 30km to pick it up. Now comes the search for good live rock, have found red sea argonite for $85 and have a guy just starting shop with corals only that he dives for himself from the Northern Terrotory so might give him a look.
Yes know a bit about fishless cycle, is there anywhere that has full details as how to do step by step and what to look out for?

Theres a sticky at the top of the page which has articles in it one of them has a great step by step process for fishless cycling i tried to link it but my ipod sjowed something else.... Any how hipe it helps

After you read about cycling with the shrimp, one advice is to use only the amount the article told you to. I used too much shrimp and it kind of screwed up the balance of ammonia and nitrite in my tank

Wow thanks everyone for all the help,also how do you work out what sort of bioload this size tank would be able to support when complete so i can start planning on fish/corals and inverts and in what sort of order to add them

My tank is 36g and I was recommended 4-5 depending on the fish. If you have good filtration, then you can have more fish. Also the type of fish determines a lot also. If you have a messy fish like a lion fish, it'll cut down the amount of fish by quite a bit.

Always consider the adult size of a fish when you buy one. Don't look at a fish at the LFS thinking that it wont grow much.

Also you cant put them all in at once sw is at a snails pace but with the expense better safe than sorry.
Also i recommend ammonia dose, it's really up to you but with dosing you know exactly how much ammonia your tank can handle in a day

Back
Top Bottom