Red Sea max 130d lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kurtyboh

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anybody have a redsea max 130d or know anybody who does? I'm looking at getting one and how successful they are at keeping corals or anenomes. The tank is 24" deep with 2 pc 55w 10k actinic lights. Which from what I've read and heard from Mr. X is that they don't have a lot of penetrating power. I talked to a redsea max rep online andhe sent me a link with a bunch of users that have had bubble anenomes and different types of coral in it, but how much can one trust that?

i have a red sea max 130 (without the D), i bought it 2-3 years ago, it seems to be good for low to medium-high light corals. I try to put a clam in, it lived for around a year. Out of 10, I'll give it a 8. But the powerhead seems to break easily, I have to change it every 1-2 years. The light is "ok". Recently I just decided to buy a MH light fixture from ebay, i guess it will be better. I guess this would be the best choice for a nano cube tank to its size, the only competitor is the oceanic 29 gal.

edit: i rather you invest in the red sea max 250, if you buy the 130, in less than 3 years, you r gonna start admiring the 250 and wanna get it. The price of the 250 have dropped alot, but its up to you, bigger tank means more work, maintenance, and cost

i personally don't think it could support a nem, but i would suggest swapping out one of those 10000k's for an actinic bulb

unfortunately my wife isn't going to let me have as big of a tank as I could dream, but she like the towers and cubes so a 2'x2' tank is about as big as im going to get for a while.

Also I was looking at adding some mh in the future... found some that are approx 5 inches so i could easily put 2 on each end, add some comp fans to help move the air out and yeah, but that won't be for a while even if i got the tank.

Another question about lights though, what is the difference between 20k, 15k, and 10k lights. Also I found a site that has mh lights that are 4k, and 3.2k and that they were aquarium lights, but all the aquarium stores sell 10k and above so was wondering what the difference if any was?

well the 20K-10K are what colors you'd be looking at for a reef, 10K is pretty white, while 20K is pretty blue.

those others i have no idea, but that'd be pretty red/orange/yellowish

also for metal halide fixtures check out fishneedit.com, lots of good lighting fixtures for good prices

the_fish_man said:
Oh ya i have had success with bubble anemones

That is exactly what I wanted to hear, my main goal with the tank is a pr of picasso clowns and a bubbletip nem. Now I know I can get it set up, stabilized and add a nem. While worrying about light upgrades later.

Kurt

Just making sure cuz the 250 has linear t5's which many say are better, but it's truly great news for me, thanks

Back
Top Bottom