Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2004, 01:25 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Maximo, just wanted to update that I tested my QT tank tonight (it's cycling with just a piece of LR in it) and actually got a clear reading of 8.2! The ammonia right now is .25; I wonder if we both got "blue" results because of the cycle? Anyway, if you come back to this let me know if you ever got a real reading. I can't believe both our tanks would be so far off as to not even register on the test!

Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 11:29 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I did a lot of research and my own experimentation with this about two months ago. I can tell you that if your red sea says 8.3 - 8.4 your PH is actually about 7.8 - 7.9
The Red Sea along with many of the other PH kits all have a margin of error for the higher numbers. This is mostly due to the fact that most people have a PH much closer to 7.8 - 8.0 and when the test shows your 7.8 is 8.3, you are obliviously happy and continue to buy the test that gives you the numbers you like to see. I know it sounds strange, but its true. I compared red sea, marineland, and salifert to a pinpoint PH meter calibrated with Pinpoint fluid and coralife fluid and found that red sea and marineland are very biased to the numbers you want to see. Salifert was dead on with the pinpoint fluid which is the 2nd highest level of quality for PH fluid. I then did a calibration with coralife fluid, which doesn't even have a rating and found that the coralife fluid will calibrate so that your tank reads 8.2 - 8.4 even if it is at 7.8 - 7.9. All those test were done with PH 7 and PH 10 solution.
Anyhow, the quick and dirty is that if you are getting 8. anything with Red Sea and you drop in a pinpoint you are going to find that the numbers are way lower than that test is telling you. I advise on buying a digital monitor and calibrating with pinpoint solution, or buying salifert PH kits. HTH, I keep meaning to write up all my notes but haven't done it, i'll get around to it one day.
One thing to say about the salifert kit though is that it is likely going to give you an in-between color. I use that kit to ensure my pinpoint is holding calibration, but there will still be some level of guess work in what your PH actually is using a dye type kit. Finally before I have to call and wake you all up, make sure you take your PH readings at the same time of day with a dye kit or else you'll never be able to track and already hard to track parameter. Best of luck!

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 04:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay, that's it. I'm going to buy a meter before I get anything more than a rock in that tank. I'm gonna go cheap, though, unless someone comes back and tells me that I really need the $80 pinpoint one instead of the $35 hanna one . . . not that I'm encouraging anyone to tell me that . . . .
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
10-gallon tropical
Old 07-30-2004, 10:12 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
The hanna is just a quick test drop in right? The only reason I like the pinpoint is because you mount it with suction cups and it just gives you data all the time. You will likely not get as long term use out of your probe if your always pulling it in and out of the water. Not looking to discourage you from the hanna though, just a couple things to think about.

Again, remember that a probe is only as good as the fluid you calibrate it with. Try and find some pin point 7 and 10 solution, if you calibrate with bad fluid your no better than using a Red Sea kit. Best of luck!

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 01:30 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could always attach the Hanna to the side of the tank somehow and leave it dipped! Or would that reduce its life too?

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, I ended up ordering a Milwaukee, anyway, as the only Hanna I could find cost $50. I could have sworn I saw one for $35 last week, but as soon as I wanted it, no luck. Anyway, I hope that's splitting the difference between the pinpoint and the hanna. If not--ah, well. Won't be the first bad buy nor the last, no doubt.
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
10-gallon tropical
Old 07-30-2004, 07:26 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...314546177&rd=1

Old 07-30-2004, 10:17 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

That ebay ad for the Hanna model says no need to calibrate. Is that true?
Old 07-30-2004, 11:10 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine came pre-calibrated and has (surprisingly) not needed adjusting even well after a months use. I'm sure it will sooner or later though.

Old 07-31-2004, 01:44 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh, thanks Atari! Just when I feel okay about a purchase . . . LOL

I actually did look on ebay a bit but I wanted a refractometer, too, and so I was looking at storefronts that had them both. The one Hanna I found at a "regular" online store was a different model and it was over $50. Ah, well. Like I said--won't be the last dumb purchase I make. Ask me about the convertible Mustang sometime.

Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
10-gallon tropical

Tags
sea, test

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com