Red Sea PH test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maximo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have the Red Sea Marine Lab test kit and I don't really understand how to read the PH test results. The color range on the card goes from green to purple and when I test the sample looks blue to me. Is my PH all out of wack? I am in the middle of my cycle and from what I can tell the ammonia spike is over but both the nitrites and the nitrates are high. The SG is a little high right now at 1.025.

I can't really tell what the exact ammonia level is either. I just know it is a lot lower than it was but now I cant tell if its green or yellow. I guess it's more green.

I'm gonna take a sample to the LFS and see what they have to say.

I don't think I'm color blind. I can always see the numbers in the dots on those color blindness test patterns.

-Maximo

Maximo, I'm having the same problem with the same test! It doesn't look like any of the colors on the card. It's making me what a Ph meter, but dang if I want to spend another $80. I wonder if any of the other brands are better? One thing I didn't research before buying is my test kit--and I see now that Salifert is the "top" brand.

I think all my stupid LFS get together and sell the same crap. All the stores around here sell nothing but the low end of everything. I had to choose from the Fastest kit or the Red Sea. Guess I need to be more willing to buy off the internet. No one around here carries the AquaC or Euroreef skimmers either. There may be hope tho.. a new shop is about to open and I know he is going to have Euroreef.

So you got the Red Sea too? I don't really care for it in general but I've never had another kind so I don't have anything to compare it to.

-Maximo

It's pretty normal for pH to be erratic during cycling so no worries there.

But I would still recommend purchasing a better test kit such as Salifert or Seachem. FWIW, the pH meters aren't all that expensive. I think I got mine for about $25 on ebay.

I can't remember the brand of tests I use, and I'm too lazy to walk downstairs. Anyway, there's a picture of a fish in a dr's outfit on the box. They were inexpensive and work well, very consistent results. For your test, you could always try bumping the ph in your test water and see if it reads a readable color. Your ph might be so out of wack it won't register properly.

Atari, are all the ph meters about the same? I looked around and found cheapos for $25 and others for $150--I got confused so I just went and hid under a rock shelf and tried to forget about it.

Seachem marine basic kit is what I used. Aquarium Pharmecuticals test kits are generally decent...but I'd spring for SeaChem any day of the week.

I can't find salifert here, so I can't comment.

blorkiemom said:
Atari, are all the ph meters about the same? I looked around and found cheapos for $25 and others for $150--I got confused so I just went and hid under a rock shelf and tried to forget about it.
I'm sure that the more expensive ones probably have tons of extra features and whatnot but I can personally only vouch for the $25 Hanna pH Checker 1. It's been one of my best purchases so far.

The pin point PH monitor is a nice higher end monitor with the Hannah meters coming in nicely in the lower range! For what it is worth Red Sea test kits are pretty bad! Check the expiration on the botttom of the box to be sure it is not old.

Stick with seachem or Salifert and you will be happy.

Maximo, just wanted to update that I tested my QT tank tonight (it's cycling with just a piece of LR in it) and actually got a clear reading of 8.2! The ammonia right now is .25; I wonder if we both got "blue" results because of the cycle? Anyway, if you come back to this let me know if you ever got a real reading. I can't believe both our tanks would be so far off as to not even register on the test!

I did a lot of research and my own experimentation with this about two months ago. I can tell you that if your red sea says 8.3 - 8.4 your PH is actually about 7.8 - 7.9
The Red Sea along with many of the other PH kits all have a margin of error for the higher numbers. This is mostly due to the fact that most people have a PH much closer to 7.8 - 8.0 and when the test shows your 7.8 is 8.3, you are obliviously happy and continue to buy the test that gives you the numbers you like to see. I know it sounds strange, but its true. I compared red sea, marineland, and salifert to a pinpoint PH meter calibrated with Pinpoint fluid and coralife fluid and found that red sea and marineland are very biased to the numbers you want to see. Salifert was dead on with the pinpoint fluid which is the 2nd highest level of quality for PH fluid. I then did a calibration with coralife fluid, which doesn't even have a rating and found that the coralife fluid will calibrate so that your tank reads 8.2 - 8.4 even if it is at 7.8 - 7.9. All those test were done with PH 7 and PH 10 solution.
Anyhow, the quick and dirty is that if you are getting 8. anything with Red Sea and you drop in a pinpoint you are going to find that the numbers are way lower than that test is telling you. I advise on buying a digital monitor and calibrating with pinpoint solution, or buying salifert PH kits. HTH, I keep meaning to write up all my notes but haven't done it, i'll get around to it one day.
One thing to say about the salifert kit though is that it is likely going to give you an in-between color. I use that kit to ensure my pinpoint is holding calibration, but there will still be some level of guess work in what your PH actually is using a dye type kit. Finally before I have to call and wake you all up, make sure you take your PH readings at the same time of day with a dye kit or else you'll never be able to track and already hard to track parameter. Best of luck!

Okay, that's it. I'm going to buy a meter before I get anything more than a rock in that tank. I'm gonna go cheap, though, unless someone comes back and tells me that I really need the $80 pinpoint one instead of the $35 hanna one . . . not that I'm encouraging anyone to tell me that . . . . :)

The hanna is just a quick test drop in right? The only reason I like the pinpoint is because you mount it with suction cups and it just gives you data all the time. You will likely not get as long term use out of your probe if your always pulling it in and out of the water. Not looking to discourage you from the hanna though, just a couple things to think about.

Again, remember that a probe is only as good as the fluid you calibrate it with. Try and find some pin point 7 and 10 solution, if you calibrate with bad fluid your no better than using a Red Sea kit. Best of luck!

Could always attach the Hanna to the side of the tank somehow and leave it dipped! :lol: Or would that reduce its life too?

Well, I ended up ordering a Milwaukee, anyway, as the only Hanna I could find cost $50. I could have sworn I saw one for $35 last week, but as soon as I wanted it, no luck. Anyway, I hope that's splitting the difference between the pinpoint and the hanna. If not--ah, well. Won't be the first bad buy nor the last, no doubt.

That ebay ad for the Hanna model says no need to calibrate. Is that true?

Mine came pre-calibrated and has (surprisingly) not needed adjusting even well after a months use. I'm sure it will sooner or later though.

Oh, thanks Atari! Just when I feel okay about a purchase . . . LOL

I actually did look on ebay a bit but I wanted a refractometer, too, and so I was looking at storefronts that had them both. The one Hanna I found at a "regular" online store was a different model and it was over $50. Ah, well. Like I said--won't be the last dumb purchase I make. Ask me about the convertible Mustang sometime.

Back
Top Bottom