Red Slime-Chemiclean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eileen van Zyldob

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey.has anybody on here used the red slime product from chemiclean to remove red algae? everything must be switched off for 24hours-sounds dodge?

I never used it but I heard people say not to use it try other options like ro/di water, vodka or vinger dosing. Iam currently fighting that too Iam just feeding less, cranked up the flow on my pump, and is using ro/di water. I seemed to kill if most of the neon green cynobacteria on my sand but it is the red one on my live rocks I have a problem with.

People have mixed views onit but up2 you and only thing switch off is skimmer and remove carbon

I have not used Boyd's Chemiclean but I have used UltraLife's Red Slime Remover twice. I don't know how similar the make up of these two products is, but I believe that Chemiclean is white while Red Slime Remover is yellow.

Red Slime Remover worked with 48 hours of dosing. I does make your water a sickly yellow-green color for a day or so. I did not turn off my skimmer or my carbon and GFO reactor. My skimmer went bonkers for 2 and a half days filling the collection cup with liquid very quickly and overflowing back into the sump. (I didn't want to turn it off for fear that oxygen levels might drop.) The zoas don't like it, but nothing else seemed to mind including a deresa clam, ornamental shrimp, a porcelain crab, fish, (mostly) LPS, and some SPS. As others will doubtless tell you, it is a temporary fix. If you don't eliminate the underlying issue (dead spots with an accumulation of detritus in my case), it will return.

Back
Top Bottom