Red to green algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hdfergie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started my 125 gal tank 3 months ago with tap water and salt. I started to get the brown algae on my rocks and glass. I decided to start using RO water. Now I have green algae which is worse than the red. How do I get rid of this before my wife makes me throw out the salt and back to fresh. We have two beautiful freshwater tanks but this salt looks like hell!!
4 damsels
2 clown
2 sand sifter goby
1 sand sifter stare
1 brittle star
125 gallon tank
What is there that I can do to get rid of this green crud??? At least before the wife throws it out, lol

I had the brown algae and the diamond sand sifter gobie and the kole Tang got rid of my algae

IS the tang reef safe? I'm wanting to add some Anemones and mushroom.

Yes but now I have rid the brown and green algae is taking over. This is my new hurdle to get over

It took me a little while to get through it and now I'm battling ich. Ich is more of a headache though.

Plain and simple, do t add livestock to solve issues. Once it's solved, it's an animal that will need to be fed.
That said, you created the current issue with the tap water. The original goings on was diatoms. Simple silicate consumer. Then you moved into Cyanobacteria and then into hair algae. These last 2 are indicators of parameter issues, be it nitrates or phosphates. At the amount you describe, you won't even be able to test for them anymore.
The solution is large water changes with ro/du water and manual removal of the algae. It will take time, as even nitrates of 50 will only go down to 25 with a 50% water change and the begin to rise until the next water change.
Do not use tap water. You are just adding nitrates or phosphates into your water column.

Back
Top Bottom