redsea's 125g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When is it possible the Halide's can damage your eyes?

Or do other types of aquarium lights damage your eyes too?

If you don't like the fixture above, what do you think would be better?
I was looking at this one because I thought the price was good, and I thought metal halides were good fixtures (not sure).

Thank you.

Oops, sorry. I mean will they damage your eyes if you look at them because of how bright they are? Thanks!

BallinCrew10 said:
Didn't your mother ever tell you not to stare into your lights lol

Lol. I just don't want anyone's eyes damaged say if the water level is down and the lights are shining into the room.

oh i dont think you would have to worry too much about that. well just the ones that stair at them like the sun... if they do that it doesnt matter mh or led t5ho or pc bright is bright. and every fixture capable of reef are just that.

coffeetwitch said:
oh i dont think you would have to worry too much about that. well just the ones that stair at them like the sun... if they do that it doesnt matter mh or led t5ho or pc bright is bright. and every fixture capable of reef are just that.

Ohhh ok, so no matter which fixture I pick, eyes could be damaged. It isn't just Metal Halides. Thanks

The only thing I don't like about that light is it has PC bulbs instead of t5's. Otherwise it seems like an ok light. :) Some people would say go for the 250 watts MH but I think with the depth of a 125g it would be fine. BUT if you went bigger or deeper of a tank you might run into issues.

carey said:
The only thing I don't like about that light is it has PC bulbs instead of t5's. Otherwise it seems like an ok light. :) Some people would say go for the 250 watts MH but I think with the depth of a 125g it would be fine. BUT if you went bigger or deeper of a tank you might run into issues.

Ahhhh, I see what is the difference on the kind of corals I can keep with this one, as opposed to the one we were talking about? Which one do you like better?

Could the PC bulbs be switched out? If so, how much would that cost?

Thanks!

I think the two fixtures would be comparable. I would prefer the T5 one myself. less energy, lower heat, no external ballasts to trip over. LOL

You could probably switch the pc lights to t5's but it would be a DIY job and you'd spend a bunch on the t5's. Not worth it in my opinion,

carey said:
I think the two fixtures would be comparable. I would prefer the T5 one myself. less energy, lower heat, no external ballasts to trip over. LOL

You could probably switch the pc lights to t5's but it would be a DIY job and you'd spend a bunch on the t5's. Not worth it in my opinion,

Alright, thanks! I think I will just go with the T5 one I was planning on. The price just caught my eye on this particular fixture, lol.

Yeah, I know how that it. lol But the aquaticlife would be a better fixture in my opinion. Better track record, built in timer...If i could have afforded it for my 20g I would have for sure gotten them.

Are you checking CL for a light? Thats where I got my $700 fixture for $300. Too bad youre not in Florida, theres a guy selling a 3 X 250 MH for $350. :-(

carey said:
Yeah, I know how that it. lol But the aquaticlife would be a better fixture in my opinion. Better track record, built in timer...If i could have afforded it for my 20g I would have for sure gotten them.

Are you checking CL for a light? Thats where I got my $700 fixture for $300. Too bad youre not in Florida, theres a guy selling a 3 X 250 MH for $350. :-(

Yep, sounds like the aquaticlife would be better.

That sounds like a great deal! I checked CL twice, but I will start checking more frequently, and see if I can't find myself a deal. :)

If you don't have it already get the alert app. :) It will beep or vibrate everytime something comes up new with your parameters.

I search the following through my app:

aquarium
fish
rimless
live rock
base rock
nano
biocube
fish light
skimmer
sump
t5
metal halide

With those search parameters everything comes up that i could possibly be interested in. :)

I don't, is it one of these?

Attachments

• image-1716096770.jpg
    image-1716096770.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 167
  • image-1109118346.jpg
    image-1109118346.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 132
Back
Top Bottom