redsea's 125g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Photos of the Newest Additions to the Fish Family

Here they are! Some beyond terrible pics of the Wrasses though, lol.

42687-albums3051-picture34086.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1697.jpg
    DSCF1697.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF1700.jpg
    DSCF1700.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF1701.jpg
    DSCF1701.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF1705.jpg
    DSCF1705.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 93
I like the scopas. I was going to get one but got a sailfin instead. It's a cool looking fish even though it's fairly dark in color

I like the scopas. I was going to get one but got a sailfin instead. It's a cool looking fish even though it's fairly dark in color

Yeah, you don't really see the Scopas too often. Probably because many people want the brightly colored fish like the Yellow Tang, but I really like the Scopas. :)

Thanks for posting!

You can still tell the wrasses are really nicely colored, even in a bad shot! Looking good, loving your "pootie" tang. ;-)

Thanks carey! Pootie JR. has taken the move from tank to tank well, lol.

I really like my Wrasses. My only problem so far is that my McCosker's occasionally chases the Linespot out of his way, I don't think he is hurting him though.

So I imagine that I will be starting hypo sometime next week, since my refractometer will be coming in. I will most likely not begin treatment during the week, as I am pretty busy. :)

My guess is that I will start treatment Friday.
My plan is to lower the salinity down to 1.008-1.009 over a course of two days, does this sound OK?

After hypo is done, I can begin to add critters again. :) I really want a Clam and a Torch coral. I am not sure about what kind of shrimp I want in this tank though.....could I add some Sexy Shrimp, or would they be too small? If I can't add the Sexy Shrimp, I am thinking that I will go with some kind of Coral Banded Shrimp (probably a pair).

As for fish for this tank, I think I wanted some Chromis (probably 5), and maybe a Midas Blenny. I also want a pair of Anthias, I really like the Squareback, I am just afraid that I will have some issues getting them to eat. They do eat plankton though, right? So if worse comes to worse, I could always buy bottles of plankton, right? Also, on definite fish list is a Mandarin. :) I think a pair would be cool if I can find an ORA one. I also really like the Scooter, but 3 pod eating fish in a 125g would probably be too much, lol. What do you think? Should I just go with a pair of ORA Mandarins, or get a Mandarin and a Scooter?

Thanks for reading the book above, lol. Sorry if it sounds a bit choppy, it is almost 11:00 PM, :lol:

I'm always afraid sexy shrimp will be food. Have you seen them in real life? I've fed mysis that's bigger!!!

I have a mated pair of coral bandeds and they are great. My only complaint is that they have made their spot in the back of my tank and really only come out to eat and at night. Thank god I can see them from the side of the tank. But- they get huge. The antenae on mine are about 6" each! Definitely my prize shrimp. Plus- they leave my other shrimp alone.

I'm always afraid sexy shrimp will be food. Have you seen them in real life? I've fed mysis that's bigger!!!

I have a mated pair of coral bandeds and they are great. My only complaint is that they have made their spot in the back of my tank and really only come out to eat and at night. Thank god I can see them from the side of the tank. But- they get huge. The antenae on mine are about 6" each! Definitely my prize shrimp. Plus- they leave my other shrimp alone.

I will skip the Sexy Shrimp until I set up a pico or some kind of smaller tank, thanks for the warning :).

I think I will go with a pair of Coral Bandeds then. Do you have any reccomendations on which species to get and where to buy them? Thanks!

redsea said:
I will skip the Sexy Shrimp until I set up a pico or some kind of smaller tank, thanks for the warning :).

I think I will go with a pair of Coral Bandeds then. Do you have any reccomendations on which species to get and where to buy them? Thanks!

I have just regular. The blue and golden don't really do anything for me. Lol. As far as where to get a mated pair- I got mine from the diver. I dont see the mated pair option on LA. Bluezoo doesn't have any in stock- but they have the option to email when they do...

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=2&pid=1233&cid=84

You can get the jbj one for like $80 if you look. Normally its like $100. And you'll need a small pump to hook up to the reservoir that feeds the sump. I use a mini jet 606 for one tank and an aqualifter pump for the other.

Carey, I haven't bought the JBJ ATO yet, but I plan to. I do have an extra aqualifter pump, but from the videos I have watched, it looks like the pump is in the water. Is this a water proof pump too?

Sorry for these silly questions, lol.

Thanks.

Mandarin Questions

Hi everyone, I have some ORA Mandarin questions.....
1. If you add a few bottles of pods to your refugium, does that shorten the time you have to wait to get a Mandarin? Or is it still 6 months (6 months is the guideline, right)?
2. If I buy a male and a female, will they automatically pair up, or will they fight? Can I buy them at different times?

3. If I wanted to breed copepods, how would I do that?

Thanks everyone! :)

redsea said:
Hi everyone, I have some ORA Mandarin questions.....
1. If you add a few bottles of pods to your refugium, does that shorten the time you have to wait to get a Mandarin? Or is it still 6 months (6 months is the guideline, right)?
2. If I buy a male and a female, will they automatically pair up, or will they fight? Can I buy them at different times?

3. If I wanted to breed copepods, how would I do that?

Thanks everyone! :)

Sorry only know the answer to #1 and #3.
1. Yes it does. I'd add a couple bottles now and wait 4-5 months.

3. Easy; Set up a 10g tank with an air stone and dump in the pods. You can feed them phytoplankton.

Back
Top Bottom