redsea's 125g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry only know the answer to #1 and #3.
1. Yes it does. I'd add a couple bottles now and wait 4-5 months.

3. Easy; Set up a 10g tank with an air stone and dump in the pods. You can feed them phytoplankton.

Thanks.

Do you think it is really worth it to setup a pod tank? Or will enough pods be able to reproduce in my refugium?

If you don't remember I tried a pod tank and it wasnt really a success. :-(

I believe they need to be a mated pair but I could be wrong, I do know they will fight if the same sex.

Not sure if I would get two so soon though. I'm debating adding some to my 125g and I am seriously populated with pods. Or could just be me being overly paranoid. LOL

redsea said:
Thanks.

Do you think it is really worth it to setup a pod tank? Or will enough pods be able to reproduce in my refugium?

I think if you wait long enough, you can just add it to your tank

If you don't remember I tried a pod tank and it wasnt really a success. :-(

I believe they need to be a mated pair but I could be wrong, I do know they will fight if the same sex.

Not sure if I would get two so soon though. I'm debating adding some to my 125g and I am seriously populated with pods. Or could just be me being overly paranoid. LOL

I'll just stick to pods in the refugium then. :) Thanks.

Yeah, two probably wouldn't be a good idea for me since the tank would still be fairly new. Plus an ORA pair would be expensive. Once I am done with hypo, how many bags of pods do you think I should purchase from reefcleaners?

I think you would be good in your 125g with Mandarin(s). Would you get a Green Spotted one since you already have a Blue one? Or maybe a red one, lol.

Thanks.

I would add just a bag, maybe two tops. And then in a few months you can re-assess and add more if needed. :)

I've been eying the red mandarins. lol

I would add just a bag, maybe two tops. And then in a few months you can re-assess and add more if needed. :)

I've been eying the red mandarins. lol

Ok, thanks!

I really like the Red Mandarins too, I hear ORA is working on them but I am not sure if they are available yet. If ORA makes them available by the time my tank is ready for one, that is the kind I will get for this tank. :)

I also eventually want to get a Mandarin for the 55g tank too, but I don't even have a sump/refugium on that tank :nono:. So that won't happen in the near future, lol.

I am glad Mandy recovered from what she had a month or two ago, she is such a cool fish. Mandarins are definitely up there on my favorite fish list. :)

Thanks redsea! I appreciate the kind words. Mandy is still going strong. :-D I still fret and watch over her every time I feed. I think that will be a permanent thing with me, I just can't not fuss over her. Still paranoid I guess that she will stop eating. Alot of stress with these guys let me tell you! LOL

LOL. They are definitely worth it though :-D.

What does she eat again? Bloodworms, and what else? Thanks carey!

She eats all frozen food. bloodworms are her favorite. :) Once you get them eating it seems they will go for anything. That's the trick though getting them to eat something frozen.

I would get an ORA one again I think, even if I put one in the 125g, just so she has a backup feeding option. In think I may add a red one to the 125g after I upgrade it later this year. :)

How goes the tanks? anything new going on?

Great! I definitely am going with an ORA, just to be as safe as I can. I also think I will go with a Red Mandarin if I can find one online at a decent price. :)

Nothing that exciting is going on with the tanks. However, I am beginnig to get excited because it has almost been eight weeks since I took the fish out of the 34g!! :dance: Wooohoo, lol! I am a little unsure if I should dose more copper though. I dosed 7-ish weeks ago, and on the bottle it said it was good for a month. About how long does it take for copper to kill ich anyways? I am pretty sure I will move them back over Friday or sometime this weekend. Then I can begin stocking again! I am going to head over to my 34g thread and post about stocking. :)

I saw that one! It has no size or tank size for it so who knows how big it will get! lol

LOL. Do you think he really needs the supplements in the description? I have never heard of a fish needing supplements.....

My refractometer came in yesterday from BRS. :) I will start hypo probably Friday, maybe Saturday.

Thanks for looking!

for the 125g! I don't think I'd go with 5 chromis in the 34. :) lol

Hehe, yep, that would probably be too much, lol!

I also want to get some Anthias for this tank. :) You said sometime before to stick with 1 male and 1 female, right? (As opposed to 1 male and 2 females).

How many months should I have the tank up and running before I add them? My only concern is that I won't be able to get the Anthias to eat....do you have any tips for when/if they are refusing food?

Thank you!

Well it kinda depends on the anthias you pick. Some are easier than others. As you may remember I lost my first squareback anthias last year in the 125g 2011 plague....whether it ate or not may not have mattered. But I know that fish didn't eat a thing when i had him and I am sure that contributed to his death.

Now the female squareback I have now does not eat anything but forzen food. No flake or pellets for her. It's been at least a month since I've had her and she just refuses to eat anything else. The male is all about any food that goes in the tank, he even skims the top of the water to get food before it sinks, like pellets and flakes. But he wasn't always that way, first few months all he ate was frozen. :-(
You also have to feed anthias's a few times a day, one large feeding isnt as good as 3 small ones.

I think I am going to get at least one more female anthias, maybe 2...I know the tank can handle the fish just wanna be sure, as you've probably read I'm looking at a butterfly fish too. :-D

Sorry for the long post! LOL

I think I will choose Squareback Anthias, I really like their color! I will get 2 or 3 females and 1 male. I didn't know that I could keep 3 or 4 total in a 125g :-D. Since part of their diet consists of plankton, could I dose plankton if they refused anything else? Or is it pretty normal for them to always eat some kind of frozen food?

One more question, are they pod eaters?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom