redsea's 125g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey redsea,
Let me know how the ATO set-up goes, that's one of my next projects! Pros - cons, etc.
Good luck with it.

Thank you! Carey says that it is easy to set up, which I am happy about. I will let you know how it goes, but I may need a reminder in case I forget, lol.

Quick question: What is the lowest salinity corals can thrive in? Just curious because I am dying to place my LA order soon (preferably tomorrow so it can come tuesday, by then the salinity should be in check). This order is going to be pretty large, the fish fund is ready!

What do you guys think of Brain Corals? Are they pretty hardy? Anything I should know about them?

I am still undecided on which corals to buy, there are so many choices. I know for a fact that I do want to hit the $225 mark so I can get free shipping.

Any hardy suggestions are welcome for fish and coral as always. :)

Welso brains are pretty easy. How about Scoly, some hammers, ricordeas, elegance, galaxia, plate corals, war coral, purple korky sea finger, Fiji leather, meteor shower, blasto. I could go on forever

Not 100% sure on this but the article on hyposalinity on wwm had a paragraph where they wrote about a modified hypo with corals with 1.017 being the lowest they tolerated. I would still think there is risk involved .

Thanks for the list, I will be looking at those on LiveAquaria. :) I think I want to create a Mushroom area in the tank, are they toxic? Are they considered soft corals?

Hondatek said:
Not 100% sure on this but the article on hyposalinity on wwm had a paragraph where they wrote about a modified hypo with corals with 1.017 being the lowest they tolerated. I would still think there is risk involved .

I think it all depends on the type of coral. My hammers don't like anything below 1.023 or they look bad

redsea said:
Thanks for the list, I will be looking at those on LiveAquaria. :) I think I want to create a Mushroom area in the tank, are they toxic? Are they considered soft corals?

They are not toxic. Just fast growing. Lol. I use them as fillers in my tank.

Cool, thanks. When I tested two nights ago with a hyrdrometer (was just looking for a ballpark), it said somewhere around 1.017. After evaporation and me adding some of my salty water, it should be saltier today.

Do you think if I add more saltwater tomorrow, the water would be safer for coral?

If that was the case, I could order from LA tonight.

I also have one more question, it is pretty random though. Are Yasha Gobies and Pistol Shrimps pretty hardy, and what do they eat?

:thanks:

"I think it all depends on the type of coral. My hammers don't like anything below 1.023 or they look bad"

Ah, I see. Part of the reason I really want to order tonight is because there is a Yasha Goby/Pistol Shrimp pair coming into the DD which I may be interested in. :)

I would get it as close as possible . You can raise it .002 a day safely . So maybe water changes today and tomorrow .

I would get it as close as possible . You can raise it .002 a day safely . So maybe water changes today and tomorrow .

Thanks! I will do a change today and then determine if the tank could possibly be ready for fish tomorrow (since that is when they would be coming).

I got my eBay RODI unit in about 30 minutes ago!

Now I am just waiting for my rock from reefrocks. Hopefully that will be here soon. ;)

Thanks for reading, I hope I can get this RODI set up with no issue, wish me luck! (won't be set up tonight however)

The biggest pain about the e-bay one is getting the right connector for your water source. Once you figure that out, it is a piece of cake.

redsea said:
I got my eBay RODI unit in about 30 minutes ago!

Now I am just waiting for my rock from reefrocks. Hopefully that will be here soon. ;)

Thanks for reading, I hope I can get this RODI set up with no issue, wish me luck! (won't be set up tonight however)

Remember, throw out the first 10g of water so the filters have time to break in.

Hey Red,
I would think you would be fine under an 8-bulb for a Favites. Only thing I can think to tell you is they've got long feeder tentacles, like a Galaxia, that can pack a wallop. Give it some space.

What should I be testing for with corals in the tank? Any kit recommendations that I could get from DFS?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom