Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

reducing micro-bubbles without baffles in sump

My skimmer is up and running and it produces a lot of microbubbles clouding the tank. I know that when a skimmer is in a sump there are baffles to prevent this from happening. I haven't got to creating my sump yet and was wondering if there was something that I can do to reduce the micro-bubbles coming from my turboflotor multi while it is hanging on the back of the tank so that my tank is not a bubble factory?????

Old 01-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
As I recall from your other thread...you just hooked that skimmer up? You will have to be patient and deal with the bubbles until the skimmer breaks in. Could take a few days to a week or more. Nothing you can do to prevent it.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmarc View Post
As I recall from your other thread...you just hooked that skimmer up? You will have to be patient and deal with the bubbles until the skimmer breaks in. Could take a few days to a week or more. Nothing you can do to prevent it.

So does that mean that over time they will reduce on their own after it breaks in?? If so I would be curious to the science behind that..
Old 01-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
I don't know the exact science...but the skimmer has residue from the manufacturing process on it's surfaces. This, combined with no protein layer having formed on the surfaces yet, allows the micro bubbles used to "Skim" the protein from the water to move out with the expelled water. When the skimmer "Breaks in" the residues are gone and a protein layer forms on the surfaces, this allows the bubble to rise up and not flow out with the "Skimmed" water....

Guy's please correct me if I am wrong.......
Old 01-08-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I guess that makes sense and I definately see your point thanks usmcmarc. it has been going for about 1week +/- a few days the slime is starting to build bubble production is still there I guess I will see as time goes on ...... Thanks

Tags
bubble, bubbles, micro, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com