REEEEEALLY thinking of getting SW!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This person didn't know much about keeping marine life, and I suggest you get another 50 pounds of rock, remove the livestock, and cycle the tank and start from scratch with a good foundation.

Thank you for your replies! I had already moved the tank before I read your replies!! There's no algae as I thought, it's purple coral of some sort that they purposely encouraged to grow on the live rock & back of the tank.

Here's the nite lite. See the sea cucumber at the end 1/2 way up!

image-991028785.jpg

Coralline. It's not a coral. It's algae. the cuke is trying to get away from whatever is stressing it.

This person didn't know much about keeping marine life, and I suggest you get another 50 pounds of rock, remove the livestock, and cycle the tank and start from scratch with a good foundation.

+1 ^^^ Really best to start over in this case. I have to agree with Doug, the previous owner didn't really keep up on this tank.

Thank you for the advice but I do not plan at this moment to start a fresh cycle. I'm a novice SW keeper, even if the previous owners didn't keep their tank to Pro specs, I'm happy playing around w/ this as is. I'm not going to add anything to the tank til I get the hang of it. I, personally, do not like the purple-growth-look as the previous owners did, to each his own.

I will let you all know though when you can say "I told you so!!" And I have to start over. Ha ha ha... ;)

Thank you for the advice but I do not plan at this moment to start a fresh cycle. I'm a novice SW keeper, even if the previous owners didn't keep their tank to Pro specs, I'm happy playing around w/ this as is. I'm not going to add anything to the tank til I get the hang of it. I, personally, do not like the purple-growth-look as the previous owners did, to each his own.

I will let you all know though when you can say "I told you so!!" And I have to start over. Ha ha ha... ;)

We can save you the trouble... "I told you so" lol.... Good luck though. :)

We can save you the trouble... "I told you so" lol.... Good luck though. :)

Ok! Ha ha ha... Everything was great last night, the shrimp was happy & eating. The fish was exploring. The water parameters were perfect. I'm afraid to look today, yet excited. Gonna give it a few weeks of tending it, then I'm gonna add a pair of clowns if everything stays running smoothly & I'll consider switching to a refugium. I'm a planted gal at heart. I feel compelled to add some greenery, even if down below! ;o)

Yeah, no... I didn't ask you tell me my tank isn't a good deal. I want to know about cleaning algae. And any tips anybody has for moving a tank. Today is the day. Wish me luck! I hope your Gobies don't hide on you anymore ;o)

I wouldn't say it is a bad deal at all. Although you can get a new 75 gal for $75 this came with rock. Even if you took it all down and scrubbed and dried the rock it is still $1-2 a pound for dry rock and you got a light and other equipment.

Good luck with the tank, can't wait to see it once you have put in some time.

I wouldn't say it is a bad deal at all. Although you can get a new 75 gal for $75 this came with rock. Even if you took it all down and scrubbed and dried the rock it is still $1-2 a pound for dry rock and you got a light and other equipment.

Good luck with the tank, can't wait to see it once you have put in some time.

Thanks Eric!! I've started to remove some of the coralline (thank for putting a name to it, mr_x!). I put up the blue background (just need to smooth it out) & the sand is all settled. Once I clean the sump & protein skimmer, I'll post pics! I have somewhere to go today & I'm GLAD b/c otherwise I won't think about or do anything other than mess w/ this tank!!

image-3746647105.jpg

Here are my shrimp & Damsel hiding from me trying to take pics!! The Damsel was eating great today though!

image-822256466.jpg

Damsel was all hanging out & not hiding whenever I tried to take a pic!

image-3332244392.jpg

Back
Top Bottom