Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

REEEEEALLY thinking of getting SW!!

There's a 75 gal tank w/ stand for sale w/ a wet/dry pump, protein skimmer, 2 powerheads, 1 fish (black & white), feeder shrimp & LOTS of live rock. I need to update my profile but I have 4 FW tanks--29 gal, 15 column, 20 gal, 10 gal Glo-fish (black lite & 1/2 full spectrum lighting) tanks. All planted w/ various fish. I'm definitely fish tank obsessed, it's my hobby. I think I'm ready for SW! I'm gonna start w/ a pair of Ocellaris clowns after I move the tank & a Scooter Blenny. Any thoughts, tips, etc??

Old 05-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Reef or FOWLR? If your think FOWLR now I'll bet you will go reef eventually. Start with a refractometer, a good set of test kits, and good lights. When you move the tank keep the rock under water and clean or replace the sand. Use the rock water and new water to fill the tank. Good luck!

Old 05-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would change the sump and loose the bioballs. Change it to a refugium system where you can grow Chaeto under a cheap light. Other than that, let the fun begin!
Old 05-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would avoid the scooter dragonet for a while. They can be tough to feed, often only eating live copepods from the live rock. I'd also identify the black and white fish. My guess is it's a damsel. Although extremely hardy, they are often very aggressive for their size. If so, I'd consider trading that in.

Welcome to the marines!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, FOWLR for now.

Ingy... How do you know there's bio balls? The person I'm buying the tank from only said Wet/Dry Pump & protein skimmer, no explanation of the set up which I'm funding out isnt cut & dry how it is set up when i Google that. It's SUCH a great deal for me to get started I'm just not questioning her, I'm taking the tank & running! Ha ha... I know I can figure out what I've got once I get home. Plus I have an IRL fish friend who will help me work out the details but I value any opinion I can get from experienced fish keepers. Can you (or anybody) tell me your (their) thoughts on a refugium over a sump? I've read tons on them but I want to know why people prefer 1 over the other. I'm a very dedicated yet I'd say efficiently frugal fish keeper. I'm not frugal to the point of sacrificing my fish's health but I'm not into it being super fancy, just get the job done & I don't mind doing extra work. I'm also curious why people don't just keep the plants IN their tanks! I have SO MANY questions!! I highly appreciate y'all answering them!!

Rutrag... There's LOTS of Live Rock pretty much enough to make a line the whole length of the tank & fills most of the water column height. Can I supplement the copepods? Like either introduce them to the tank or encourage their growth on the live rock for the Blenny. My LFS lady recommended him for algae control but I don't want him to starve!!

I've been thinking about starting a SW tank for 1 year. I've read so much & I've waited for the right opportunity. Summer is a great time for me to spend time on perfecting it. I'm SO EXCITED!!
Old 05-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Scooter Blenny won't eat algae, maybe it was a Lawnmower Blenny?
Old 05-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsblood View Post
Scooter Blenny won't eat algae, maybe it was a Lawnmower Blenny?
Thanks! Maybe I made a mistake then when i *thought* i was told a Scooter would be good. When I started looking up SW algae eaters recently I did come across Lawnmower Blenny's & that's the only 1 had heard of! Scooters didn't come up in the search. I also like the Spotted Mandarin Goby. Not sure if he'd be useful but they're awfully purty. They have 1 in 1 of the smaller Finding Nemo's attraction tanks at Epcot in Orlando, FL.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2994366954.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	177080

Here's a pic of the tank the seller provided. Looks like there's quite a bit of algae I'm prepared to battle. Any tips or thoughts on what I'm getting into?! Can you diagnose the algae? I thought red or slime? Thks!!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Vinegar, water and a lot of sore arms and hands should do the trick! I had to clean my tank when I got it. It was a mess. Good luck with this!!! It's going to be a lot of work but it should be really rewarding when you have it together up and running!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks!! I heard a dip in a 1/2c of hydrogen peroxide mixed w/ 2 gal tank water for 3-5 mins, shouldn't hurt the BB too bad & will kill the algae. Scrubbing will dislodge the algae & cause it just to regrow. I was thinking of getting an algae eater AND doing 1 live rock per week. There's a fish & some feeder shrimp in the tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com