REEEEEALLY thinking of getting SW!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
There's a 75 gal tank w/ stand for sale w/ a wet/dry pump, protein skimmer, 2 powerheads, 1 fish (black & white), feeder shrimp & LOTS of live rock. I need to update my profile but I have 4 FW tanks--29 gal, 15 column, 20 gal, 10 gal Glo-fish (black lite & 1/2 full spectrum lighting) tanks. All planted w/ various fish. I'm definitely fish tank obsessed, it's my hobby. I think I'm ready for SW! I'm gonna start w/ a pair of Ocellaris clowns after I move the tank & a Scooter Blenny. Any thoughts, tips, etc??

Reef or FOWLR? If your think FOWLR now I'll bet you will go reef eventually. Start with a refractometer, a good set of test kits, and good lights. When you move the tank keep the rock under water and clean or replace the sand. Use the rock water and new water to fill the tank. Good luck!

I would change the sump and loose the bioballs. Change it to a refugium system where you can grow Chaeto under a cheap light. Other than that, let the fun begin!

I would avoid the scooter dragonet for a while. They can be tough to feed, often only eating live copepods from the live rock. I'd also identify the black and white fish. My guess is it's a damsel. Although extremely hardy, they are often very aggressive for their size. If so, I'd consider trading that in.

Welcome to the marines!

Yes, FOWLR for now.

Ingy... How do you know there's bio balls? The person I'm buying the tank from only said Wet/Dry Pump & protein skimmer, no explanation of the set up which I'm funding out isnt cut & dry how it is set up when i Google that. It's SUCH a great deal for me to get started I'm just not questioning her, I'm taking the tank & running! Ha ha... I know I can figure out what I've got once I get home. Plus I have an IRL fish friend who will help me work out the details but I value any opinion I can get from experienced fish keepers. Can you (or anybody) tell me your (their) thoughts on a refugium over a sump? I've read tons on them but I want to know why people prefer 1 over the other. I'm a very dedicated yet I'd say efficiently frugal fish keeper. I'm not frugal to the point of sacrificing my fish's health but I'm not into it being super fancy, just get the job done & I don't mind doing extra work. I'm also curious why people don't just keep the plants IN their tanks! I have SO MANY questions!! I highly appreciate y'all answering them!! ;)

Rutrag... There's LOTS of Live Rock pretty much enough to make a line the whole length of the tank & fills most of the water column height. Can I supplement the copepods? Like either introduce them to the tank or encourage their growth on the live rock for the Blenny. My LFS lady recommended him for algae control but I don't want him to starve!!

I've been thinking about starting a SW tank for 1 year. I've read so much & I've waited for the right opportunity. Summer is a great time for me to spend time on perfecting it. I'm SO EXCITED!!

Scooter Blenny won't eat algae, maybe it was a Lawnmower Blenny?

Thanks! Maybe I made a mistake then when i *thought* i was told a Scooter would be good. When I started looking up SW algae eaters recently I did come across Lawnmower Blenny's & that's the only 1 had heard of! Scooters didn't come up in the search. I also like the Spotted Mandarin Goby. Not sure if he'd be useful but they're awfully purty. They have 1 in 1 of the smaller Finding Nemo's attraction tanks at Epcot in Orlando, FL.

image-2994366954.jpg

Here's a pic of the tank the seller provided. Looks like there's quite a bit of algae I'm prepared to battle. Any tips or thoughts on what I'm getting into?! Can you diagnose the algae? I thought red or slime? Thks!!

Vinegar, water and a lot of sore arms and hands should do the trick! I had to clean my tank when I got it. It was a mess. Good luck with this!!! It's going to be a lot of work but it should be really rewarding when you have it together up and running! :)

Thanks!! I heard a dip in a 1/2c of hydrogen peroxide mixed w/ 2 gal tank water for 3-5 mins, shouldn't hurt the BB too bad & will kill the algae. Scrubbing will dislodge the algae & cause it just to regrow. I was thinking of getting an algae eater AND doing 1 live rock per week. There's a fish & some feeder shrimp in the tank.

That's not "lots" of live rock. I think you need another 50 pounds or so.
It's not reef ready, which is another negative. What kind of protein skimmer? Some are just about 40 bucks new, and others are 10 x that amount for the same size tank. Some times these "great deals" aren't so great after you break everything down.

A wet/dry filter utilizes bio balls. This is how Ingy figured it out.

I'm spending $100 on this set up. It is a great deal. The light alone was $400. Even if I have to buy all new parts, it's a great deal. Thanks for your input.

You can get a brand new 75 gallon tank at the dollar a gallon sale at petco when they have it.
If all of the other components are not useful, it's not a great deal after all.

Yeah, no... I didn't ask you tell me my tank isn't a good deal. I want to know about cleaning algae. And any tips anybody has for moving a tank. Today is the day. Wish me luck! I hope your Gobies don't hide on you anymore ;o)

If it was me I'd tear that tank down and clean everything, scrub the rocks and let them sit in the sun for a week, and then put it back together and start a cycle. This is your first sw tank and I'd hate to see you battle problems from someone else's neglect, get discouraged and give up.

Yeah, no... I didn't ask you tell me my tank isn't a good deal. I want to know about cleaning algae. And any tips anybody has for moving a tank. Today is the day. Wish me luck! I hope your Gobies don't hide on you anymore ;o)
I didn't know you had already bought it. Good luck. (y)

I thought my response went through. But it didn't... I guess I shall type an other... I had Togo through the same thing. Purchased a used tank with everything. I re did the stand... Sanded and painted it. I cleaned the inside and the outside or the tank with vinegar and water... Soaked it for a little and made sure to clean it out. With the skimmer I let it soak in a bucket with water and vinegar and most if not everything that was on the skimmer came out. But I let it soak for two days and made sure to religiously rinse it off plenty of times... Put your LR in a Rubbermaid container (throw in an airstone and a heater) all this while your cleaning your tank. My suggestion is to break it down the tank and buy new sand. Re-home the fish or house them in a temporary tank until your cycle is done. Honestly... Save yourself the headache of washing the sand that it came with. The start will be a pain in the rear but if you do it with new sand you'll save yourself some headache later down the road. I agree with letting the rock sit out... Or doing a good scrub before placing them in the tank... That way you could take off any unwanted algae. I hope you're ready for the hard work. I busted my butt trying to get mine the way I wanted it.

Well, it's moved!!! The pump didn't work when we got it set up, had to buy a new one. Come to find out... there's a sea cucumber, hermit crabs, snails plus the b&w damsel & shrimp. I LOVE IT!!!!!

Waiting for the sand to settle...

image-4251249098.jpg

Back
Top Bottom