Reef Angel vs. Apex Lite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

huma-huma

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im Going to be buying a controller for my 125g sw tank in the next week or so. Not sure which one to get. Any advice or suggestions?

I looked at Reef Angel about 8 months ago (give or take, it's been a long year ;-) ). From what I've seen and read on the intertubes, the RA seems geared more towards the DIY'er. Other than that, I've seen mostly good reviews on it.

In the end, I think the best thing to do is to write down a list of what you want your controller/monitor to do, then look and see which will perform those functions within your budget.

I like that the RA is open-sourced, whoch will allow me to write my own code and give me the power to govern my controller. I dont like that its not considered plug and play. From what i can tell, it takes a few months to get it nailed down right. Also with the RA, i get pwm to control the intensity and duration of my powerheads (controllable ones) but i have to buy an add-on for the internet capability. In the same sense, the Apex unit comes with internet connectivity, but needs another module (vdm) to give me pwm control of my powerheads. Also, i absolutely love the digital control pad of the apex and its small size. The apex is also considered plug and play in that all i really need to do is hook up the hardware, calibrate the necessary probes, and setup the desktop screen... Thats it.

Back
Top Bottom