Reef aquarium- Should i or shouldn't i, take the leap!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yago

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would love to have a reef aquarium, about 175 gallon tank. But the problem is cost and maintenance. I have heard the pros and cons from alot of people. Some said "It just like pouring money down a rat hole. " One man said that the maintenance was daily and alot of hard work and expense. I would like to be able to make some money out of it. One guy told me he raised and sold living rock, and made enough to pay for the tank and it needs, and make a little profit, Some just laughed at what he said. I am getting a lot of different ideas and thoughts. I need to know what exactley i am getting into before i start doing alot of research. So any thoughts would gladly be appreciated. I have many years of experince in fresh water tanks, but none in salt. 8)

basically what i tell people is that if you do everything properly, incorporate patience... and sometimes bite the bullet and spend the extra cost to get the better item... (not that im discrediting dyi items they are great if done properly). do your research and reading and everything normally turns out great.... people make it out to be harder than it is basically because normally they havent had everything set up right.... so they end up having to fix and maintain because their system isnt set up proper. do your reading... if you have a good lfs or two talk to them alot ...

imo .. yes take the plunge just be prepared

Do you have more money than you know what to do with? The patience of a saint? Tons of time to get it rolling? If so then this is a great, highly rewarding hobby! Startup costs can get you coming and going though (I swear I could drop 2K today, given the oppty and I've already invested quite a lot into my 120). Find a good SW club in your area and join. That alone will likely save you tons of money. It really is wonderful, the biggest problem is that it is much like a crack addiction!

Welcome to AA!! :D :D :D There are a lot of people that keep tanks and sell stuff to make some money. Most of them are called "fish shop owners". My point is...for most of us this is a hobby. We do hobbies because we enjoy them and they give us plessure. It is not really different then someone who enjoys horses or sky diving or SCUBA. They all cost money, most do not make money, we do them for pure and simple enjoyment. Now if someone tells you that it is like pouring money down a "rat hole" it may seem like it to them. That is not important, as long as it does not seem like that to you. Starting a 175gal reef is going to cost a lot (thoudands of dollars) of money. Once they are up and running maintanence is not too bad. I maybe spend a average of 1-2 hours a week on upkeep. I spend 1-2 hours a day just looking at and enjoying my reef. Just depends on what is important ot you.

A SW tank doesn't need lots of maintenance as much as it needs lots of attention. You have to always be aware of what's happening in that tank. I've done 2 small water changes in my 125 in six months, I change the filter media in the wet/dry maybe once every 3 weeks, clean out the canister once a month, scrape some alage maybe a couple times a month. It's not that much, but if you neglect the tank, it WILL turn to crap quickly.

Second, you have to be gung-ho about it. It's like Mr. Myagi said "SW tank, yes - safe. SW tank, no - safe. SW tank, guess so - get squished like grape." Well, you won't get squished like a grape, but you'll just create a large, expensive clean-up project.

If you want to make money, you would be better off with multiple smaller tanks than one 175g. You could raise and sell soft corals, but that takes a lot of time and experience. If anything, you could use the 175g to house parent corals, then use the small tanks as grow out tanks.

Live rock is very prolific nowadays, you probably would not make enough money turning base rock into live rock to be worth it. A 175 is actually on the small side for that purpose anyway, and everyone wants rock plucked right out of the ocean so it has all kinds of crazy stuff on it :)

Anyway, if you have the time, commitment, and a deep wallet, go setup that 175. Just do not expect to be making any money off it for a very long time, if ever. I have spent over $1000 on a 15g tank, this stuff adds up VERY quickly.

Phyl said:
Do you have more money than you know what to do with?
I wholey disagree. I got started for a couple hundred bucks and slowly added better lights, more LR, etc as time went on. All told, I have still probably spent less than 1k on this tank and it's been up for 2 years.

The patience of a saint?
This one I agree on. The A-number-one thing I attribute to my tanks success is patience. You cannot rush things in this hobby. You hav to give the ecosystem in your tank the time to adjust to every change you make.

Find a good SW club in your area and join.
This I also agree on highly!

Well if you want my 02 then I'd say go for it. Of course I wasn't looking at starting a 175g, i only went 40. If I had the money, sure I'd of gome larger. I'm sitting at about $1500 with a 40g tank and stand, canister filter, 40lbs of LR, skimmer and 2 powerheads and a cheap light. It's not going to be the Great Barrier Reef, but it's sure going to be cool.

Like others have said, take the initial plunge, buy what you need, don't cheap out though, and then over time you can upgrade and get better/larger equipment. The best tank setups that I've seen are the one's that people have had running for 2-3 years, not 2-3 months!

I to would say go for it but only if you have the time and especially the money. I can tell you from recent experience that you will have in excess of $5,000 before your done if you buy good equipment. My 150 is 5 months old not not finished and i have that in it allready with no corals yet and needing another 100- 150 pounds of live rock yet to go, I'm not trying to scare you off just giving you a heads up.
It is an expensive hobby.

'read' ALOT first (I didn't listen)

use RO/DI water (I didn't listen)

have about 2,000 bucks saved first (I'm lucky I'm not broke)

it's worth it if you are determined but this is the most difficult thing i've ever done

Back
Top Bottom