reef crystals vs. instant ocean for reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gatr_head

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey what do you recommend for a reef tank and why? Whats the difference? Reef Crystals or Instant Ocean?

Thanks.

there is something about not changing the kind of salt you use after you start ...........

I'd use IO. I use it because it was what the store had when I first statred. if I knew now what i knew then, I would have used IO anyways. most fishstores that sell saltwater use IO for the salt and IO seems to be more readily availible than any other kind of salt. so it makes it easier not to have to change salt.

someone else can chime in with the answer to why you shouldn't change salt or why it even matters.....

Jason's right, stick with one salt. If you find you don't liek your salt, change slowly, using more frequent, but smaller water changes.
Every salt brand has its own unique mix. Doing a change with a new brand will affect inverts and corals the most...your fish won't mind as long as salinity stays constant and it's not radically different in something like alkalinity, pH or other traces.

That said, I'm not a fan of IO salt. I started with it, and like many people, mine would never fully dissolve, and I found it had really poor calcium levels, with a somewhat high alkalinity (compared to calcium...they weren't balanced).
I switched to Oceanic brand, and I really like it. I think its a better salt if you plan to have corals, or want decent coralline growth (it has more calcium, and less alkalinity...they are balanced...and it dissolves very easily)

Back
Top Bottom