Reef Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bootz

Aquarium Advice Freak
So after running my tank for 7 months as a FOWLR i decided i would like to step my game up a little and try out the world of coral. I always knew i wanted to end up with coral so i know some stuff from random research but have always been foggy about understand the proper amount of lighting required. I know i could just run to the store and purchase a reef light but the appeal of LED seems to good to pass up with all the options and customization available. So my tank(bowed front) is 30 gallons, 24 inches wide, 18.5inches high, and at the highest point of the bow it is 14.5inches deep. What should be the capability of my lighting situation (with some beginners coral nothing to complex ) I have not picked out all the coral i want yet because its a matter of me finding some stores that offer a good selection. But i have been searching the internet and ebay and noticed premade led panels that offer 50w ( not sure if that even matters) & LED Wavelength: Blue: 460nm, White: 6000-7000K. Truthfully, i am lost on this matter if anyone could direct me to a good article or just someone who knows a lot about lighting and could tell me exactly what i need that would be awesome. -thanks

Do not buy the led panels off eBay. They r junk. As far as led lights you want somewhere around 30 LEDs, 2-3 watt each half 10000k and then half blue. You don't want to look at total watts for led instead look at the par and lumens. If you want to go with t5 lighting I would go for one that has 4bulbs and are each individually reflected. 2 10000k and 2 blue. As far as mh go u could get one 250 - 400 watt. one and be able to keep any coral you want. The choice is yours. It would help if we knew your budget on the light fixture.

thanks dude good to know and my budget i guess would be like $200 since the marineland reef led is about at that price i know it not a super amount to work with but my tank is not big. I was looking at the panels on ebay cause it seems like an easier way to make my own but do you happen to have any suggestions for good source to buy LED panels? i saw ledwholesalers.com any thoughts?

I was in the same boat as u recently.

Check my tread.
Buying reef lights!! Help decide.
Under general hardware.
Hope u get all ur answers.

Back
Top Bottom