Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wanting to keep mostly soft corals, and a few fish for movement.

How much do those systems run?

Old 06-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by techo
Wanting to keep mostly soft corals, and a few fish for movement.

How much do those systems run?
Those marinelane fixtures are junk in my opinion, many bad reviews and i purchase one and bulb started going out in less that 3 days.

Depends how much your willing to spend.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think the Marinelands live up to their marketing. I beleive I saw two 48" Marineland "Reef Capable" units on a 55 at That Fish Place lighting a planted freshwater tank. For my money, I'd rather have T5HOs.

To the OP, if budget is a consideration, look at fishneedit.com for some inexpensive lighting options to get you started. If you do T5HOs, I would go ahead and invest in a four bulb fixture to give you options later on. I'd also look closely on craigslist to see if someone might be upgrading their lights or breaking down a tank. My local reef club also has a forum where a lot of folks put up their extras for a reasonable price.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I believe that all lighting should be LED. T5HO, though I do like the look, need the bulbs replaced about every 6 months and that can get expensive. Where as with LEDs the lighting units shouldn't need replaced for atleast 10 years. Take that along with the taotronic LEDs that many users here have above their reefs being ~200 bucks...the choice is easily LED.

I run radions above my tank and love them. Was pricey though. If I get an LED unit for above my 36, it'll be a Taotronic unit.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Great advice keep it coming. I think I am looking for a low budget reef tank. I am not planning on going all out on corals either. It will be a very slow learning curve.

So low budget options are the best for me.

Just a reminder to those just joining in the forum it is a 20g SW 30" long potential reef tank. Looking for a cheap lighting solution, i.e. don't have 200 dollars to put into lighting alone, this is not my only tank.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #16
Fish R friends, not food!

I have the odyssea 24" light that extends to 30". It is a 4 bulb t5ho that I got on ebay brand new for about $65 i think. Has been a great light. I believe it is similar to the one on www.fishneedit.com.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com