Reef Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

techo

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm taking the plunge into a reef tank.

I have a 29 gallon tank that is 30" wide. I am looking to find lighting for this.

I am completely new to the reef side of things and would really like to get some direct responses with possibly links to lights.

I would also just like to hear some general suggestions on setting up this reef, the do's and the dont's of reef aquatics. What extra equipment I need etc.

The biggest thing I need knowledge about is deciding on a lighting system!

Thanks in advance!

Before you figure out your lights, you need to figure out what fish and corals you want to keep.

Zoanthids, mushrooms, possibly some soft corals, kenya trees, etc

Fish are not going to be an issue.

For those low light softies you'd probably be ok with a 2 bulb T5 light, 150MH etc. Those corals are not very light intensive at all.

techo said:
Zoanthids, mushrooms, possibly some soft corals, kenya trees, etc

Fish are not going to be an issue.

Yes a simple 2-4 bulb t5 will be enough to keep those. 4 if you might ever decide to get into LPS.

T5HO by the way. Regular t5's are not the same.

Anyone else have any opinions on this?

Budget conscience reef lighting.

Like the idea of LEDs to cut down replacement costs.

I don't know enough about the marine land LED's for reef tanks. I went with the AI SOL BLUE system for my BC29. I know a lot of others use Radion. There are some good DIY kits out there though. I just don't know enough about PAR to give you a solid answer. What are you wanting to keep in the tank?

Wanting to keep mostly soft corals, and a few fish for movement.

How much do those systems run?

techo said:
Wanting to keep mostly soft corals, and a few fish for movement.

How much do those systems run?

Those marinelane fixtures are junk in my opinion, many bad reviews and i purchase one and bulb started going out in less that 3 days.

Depends how much your willing to spend.

I don't think the Marinelands live up to their marketing. I beleive I saw two 48" Marineland "Reef Capable" units on a 55 at That Fish Place lighting a planted freshwater tank. For my money, I'd rather have T5HOs.

To the OP, if budget is a consideration, look at fishneedit.com for some inexpensive lighting options to get you started. If you do T5HOs, I would go ahead and invest in a four bulb fixture to give you options later on. I'd also look closely on craigslist to see if someone might be upgrading their lights or breaking down a tank. My local reef club also has a forum where a lot of folks put up their extras for a reasonable price.

I believe that all lighting should be LED. T5HO, though I do like the look, need the bulbs replaced about every 6 months and that can get expensive. Where as with LEDs the lighting units shouldn't need replaced for atleast 10 years. Take that along with the taotronic LEDs that many users here have above their reefs being ~200 bucks...the choice is easily LED.

I run radions above my tank and love them. Was pricey though. If I get an LED unit for above my 36, it'll be a Taotronic unit.

Great advice keep it coming. I think I am looking for a low budget reef tank. I am not planning on going all out on corals either. It will be a very slow learning curve.

So low budget options are the best for me.

Just a reminder to those just joining in the forum it is a 20g SW 30" long potential reef tank. Looking for a cheap lighting solution, i.e. don't have 200 dollars to put into lighting alone, this is not my only tank.

I have the odyssea 24" light that extends to 30". It is a 4 bulb t5ho that I got on ebay brand new for about $65 i think. Has been a great light. I believe it is similar to the one on www.fishneedit.com.

Back
Top Bottom