Reef/LR question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a REALLY stupid question. I have 125 gallon that I am cycling right now with 2 yellow tailed damsels. I have had a freshwater tank for 3 years and now have ventured into SW. Heres the question and Im almost embarrassed to ask it....
If I have a FOWLR, people keep asking me if I am going to have a reef or not. Whats the difference in LR and a "reef". I always thought LR was just for filteration but from what I have read, there can be all sorts of things grow out of it such as feather dusters? I thought this was reef things. So basically Im asking if I have LR, can you put like feather dusters and such in there? Whats the difference in LR and a reef? Do you see what Im asking? I hope so. :?:
Thanks

I normally consider a reef to include photosynthetic corals and other inverts that are mounted to the rock (and added to the tank in general) on purpose and are provided with the proper husbandry for such.

Liverock or a FOWLR to me is having liverock for filtration, including the bacterial and critter populations. It may come with inverts, worms, etc. like feather dusters that will do just fine but some also may die off. Once again it is more about the aesthetic and biological capabilities of the rock.

Did that help?

Back
Top Bottom