Reef noob help please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ej_b1996

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do you think this type of lighting is fine just for some basic corals? Just to start off?
Or would it be fine for just an all fish tank?
This is my biggest concern for reef tanks and really want to start saltwater I've only had freshwater before and wanted to try this and just start with a 10 gallon
I know it's hard but that's all I have to work with right now

Attachments

• image-3856562779.jpg
    image-3856562779.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 94
  • image-1342959958.jpg
    image-1342959958.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 107
Oh ok no lol super easy corals?

What are some corals that require super low light?

So these corals would do just fine with my lighting?

They only require feeding. You do still need to maintain parameters like any other coral though.

How do you actually take care of coral? Like what are the basics? Sorry I'm kinda of new to saltwater but really like them so wanted to get into saltwater haha
And also I just checked the info for these and do they really need 6" of substrate?

I don't keep NPS corals so I'm not really the one to talk to about their specific needs but corals in general just need to be kept in stable, prestine, water conditions in order to thrive. As far as my knowledge goes the only difference with NPS is that instead of getting their energy from a symbiotic relationship with the zooxanthalae they catch food from the water column in order to survive.

I've tried to keep soft corals, mainly leathers, and mushrooms with lo wattage compact fluorescents but they did much better once I got better lighting.

image-3919386818.jpg

These all did pretty well using 4 Odyssea 36 watt 50/50 white/blue actinic rated at 3000k ea. these were power compacts. I just recently upgraded to 120 watt white/blue actinic LEDs.

image-3563181381.jpg

image-2332607581.jpg

I have these soft corals are pretty easy to maintain, and it sounds like you are on the right track with your water quality and age of the tank.

Do you think this type of lighting is fine just for some basic corals? Just to start off? Or would it be fine for just an all fish tank? This is my biggest concern for reef tanks and really want to start saltwater I've only had freshwater before and wanted to try this and just start with a 10 gallon I know it's hard but that's all I have to work with right now
If you wanted to get some hardy corals that are easy to maintain, you could easily go to your lfs and pick up a new bulb that will fit that fixture and will allow you a little more room for growth. Nps, is also another option. I have two sun corals that are nps. They require target feeding several times a week and little to no light. They don't use photosynthesis to feed or produce their food. Most lfs have nps in stock, they are just as sensitive as other corals as mrc said. You still have to watch your calcium, alk ph and mag. Plus your other basic stuff too. Liveaquaria has an entire section on them. Check it out...

After I cycle my tank should I go coral or fish first?

And also, what would be the fastest way to cycle a tank?

After I cycle my tank should I go coral or fish first?

And also, what would be the fastest way to cycle a tank?

You def want fish first, you need to wait for prob at Least two months before buying any coral. You need your tank to establish, some wait longer even as long as a year.

You can hang a piece of raw shrimp in your tank in a net or a nylon. Pretty much anything that will keep it contained so your not scooping out shrimp for the next month after your cycle ends.

How long will it take to cycle with the shrimp in a net?

It just depends on the tank, the shrimp will cause the ammonia to spike which will help the bacteria convert that to nitrites which will cause the nitrate bacteria to grow then it will convert that to nitrate. I hope that made sense, pretty much you wanna watch it go through all three phases. Ammonia, nitrite, and then to nitrates.

You prob wouldn't know until we time when the heat rises the temp in your tank or not...

Yes. And to answer your question, no, you don't want to use that light to keep corals under. You can find something that will work for a few dollars more, but changing the bulb isn't going to help. You want your corals to grow and look as beautiful as they can, right? Not just be dull and possibly brown, correct? Then I suggest you get better lighting for starters.
Starting with non photosynthetic corals as the first corals you keep is a bad idea also. get your feet wet with easy to keep corals. Mushrooms, and zoanthids/palythoa. These are easy to keep.

Back
Top Bottom