Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
Reef only no fish question.

I was considering keeping a small tank with no fish and just coral (expiremental really.) I was wondering however, how often the tank would need to be cleaned? I imagine the live rock / coral give off their own bio load and I was wondering if anyone has expierence with tanks like these and how often you clean your tank. Let me know thanks.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

you can keep the tank clean by just adding some inverts to it... throw a couple of snails in the tank and it should be fine, how big is the tank? think about adding different inverts but i would personally stay away from starfish, some eat corals and others can cause tanks to crash

Old 05-06-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
Quote:
Originally Posted by amkelly View Post
you can keep the tank clean by just adding some inverts to it... throw a couple of snails in the tank and it should be fine, how big is the tank? think about adding different inverts but i would personally stay away from starfish, some eat corals and others can cause tanks to crash
I was thinking somewhere around 10~20 gallons. I am speaking of the water quality however (sorry if I was misleading,) what you listed seems to take care of the solid things inside the tank.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I guess it would depend on what types of corals and how fast they deplete the trace elements in the tank, along with photoperiod, feeding, salt mix and so on.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

how about a small hang on skimmer, or just a small skimmer in general... mixed with a filter would work well i would think
Old 05-07-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You will need a skimmer for sure. DOCs can still be an issue in a fishless tank. You are going to want good flow and good lighting and excellent water conditions. I would suggest weekly PWCs (10 - 15%). With a small tank you aren't going to need to feed the corals (unless you get something that requires target feedings) As long as you keep up with your PWCs your corals should get what they need from the water and light. Adding things like phytofeast or similar foods will effect your water parameters so you need to be careful when using them.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

You would probably be better of with a skimmerless system in order to keep nutrient levels high. Light alone will not provide adequate nutrition for corals to consume without nutrients entering the system. What you feed will depend upon the corals you wish to house. I would also recommend 25%-50% water changes either bi-weekly or even monthly and rid excess organics on a whole since smaller weekly %'s don't provide worthwhile fluctuation and you want longer concentrated times.

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com