reef or coral reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jereli

Aquarium Advice Freak
i am sure many of you are familiar with Liveaquaria.com and maybe some one can clarify something for me. i normally use that website as a quide to fish, corals and what not but i am somewhat confused about their ideal water parameters. on their website it show Ideal Water Parameters for Reefs and Ideal Water Parameters for Coral Reefs, what is the difference

Where are the Reef or Coral Reef Water Parameters should be around.

Temp: 76-83 degress Phosphates <0.03ppm

Calcium- 380-450 PPM Ammonia <0.1ppm

Alkalinity 2.5-4 meg/L Nitrate <0.2ppm
7-11 dkh
Salinity- 35ppt Nitrite <0.2ppm
1.026= sg

PH 7.8-8.5- OK Silica <2ppm
8.1 to 8.3 best

Mag 1250- 1350ppm Strontium 5-15ppm

ok thanks alot..another question off topic i had was about my torch coral.. one of the heads opens and at times is closes up. is that normal behavior? for it to open and retract at different times?

Agreed, something near it stinging it when it is out? Perhaps it's touching a rock or something else when it's extended. Too much flow on it??

well i do have a emerald crab who likes to hand out right beneath it..and it looks like it picks stuff off of it could that be the reason..aslo my local fish store recommended me use some coral food call oyster feast for the coral, how often should i put that

also i am just starting to get into the whole reef thing and currently have only a torch coral and small red mushrooms...how long do i leave the lights on..i have 130 watts half blue...i will try to stick with the soft corals for now although i have that torch already in there

don't bother buying oyster feast. the torch isn't going to eat it. i would try repositioning it somewhere else in the tank.

keep the lights on for 10-12 hours. try to mimic the natural day.

Ok so assuming my water parameters are okay what is the best way to keep my coral healthy and thrive.. What supplements or what feeding should I do

Best thing for healthy coral and tank is water changes. You dont have to feed coral (in most cases). Never add supplements unless you tested water and it shows you need something. But the water change will keep almost everything in check. Weekly water changes will keep tank stable and nutrients in check.

I try keeping up every two weeks by doing 10 gallons water changes.. Should I do weekly instead or how much water should I be taking out and how often...i have a 60 gallon..thanks for the responses

It's a little bit different for every tank depending on your bioload and your filtration. 10% of your water every week or two is what is usually recommended to start with. The water changes you are doing now are a good start. Just keep an eye on your levels. If they start going up or you can't maintain them at a level your happy with then start doing either larger or more frequient water changes.

you don't need to add any supplements. all you need is in your salt mix. just do weekly water changes...like 10-15% and you'll be able to keep your corals happy.

oh okay thanks alot..sorry got another question..i have reef master test kit and when i am testing for KH it appears to be around 13KH does that sound right? my local fish store told me to add calcium and some other thing for KH but should i be adding the KH stuff because i think my KH is somewhat high isnt it? my calcium was around 400. i was told to add them both.

don't ever add anything unless you are sure you need it. the amount of corals you have in your tank right now won't warrant doing anything but weekly water changes.

No feeding is required, but if you want you can feed the torch some mysis shrimp once every week or so. It will like that. Nothing required for the mushroom. They'll take over all by themselves!

Well thanks alot thats good to know its to bad my lfs Recommended me to get the oyster feist.. Thanks for all responses

okay i just noticed me torch coral is pretty much closed up and there is this white string like thing that is coming out from it, what does this mean?

Back
Top Bottom