Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Reef or FOWLR?

I can't decide. I found a lighting fixture with led, and normal lighting with about 650watts. That costs about 500$. I have a retrofit hood for 150$. And I thought if I got a retrofit for that maybe I could grow anything on the rock. And if I want to later upgrade my retrofit lighting to a higher output per light? Would this be ok? Also, I'm looking at fish for this, I want a lot but I'm curious if they will all thrive together? Breeding oce clowns. Yellow tang, yellow watchman goby, bicolor angel, fire angel, school of 8 or so blue green chromis, and a clean up crew? Is this okay for a 100 gallon tank? Also, any more peaceful fish recommendations will be happily accepted. Thanks for all advice

Old 04-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #2

Not both angels, and I wouldn't do either in a reef.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

FOWLR! Granted you don't have all the nice looking coral but having an aquarium is about the fish for the most part IMO. You have a larger selection of fish you can choose from, you could have a bi color angel in a FOWLR as long as it's the only angel in the tank. Plus you don't have to worry about a lot of other levels that you would in a reef tank.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:19 AM   #4

IME there are VERY few people who do a FOWLR and do not go (or REALLY want to go) reef. I saw many people plan on just fish and after you get those few fish in the tank and see all the corals you can still add you want to add corals. This is especially so with some of the corals being SOO easy to keep. Many require absolutely no extra care or lighting an can even improve water quality.

Unless you are set on fish that are absolutely not reef safe, plan on going reef eventually. Don't add fish that aren't reef safe now just to curse your self later when you are taking all your rock out to get that one fish you added that isn't reef safe. It is so easy to do a reef (it is even more balanced than a FOWLR).
Old 04-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

you can add multiple angelfish. Just add it at the same time. For a 100 gallon, you can even add more fish.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

If you go with that fish selection you will be cornered into a FOWLR. In my case as in most, a FOWLR became a reef a year later.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks to all. But I'm in serious pain right now with gauze in my mouth after 4 teeth pulled. And I just got braces..... !!!!!!!!

Tags
fowlr, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com