Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #11
bar
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks everyone. Well I am pretty much going to go FOWLR, and get the fish that I like, with an emphasis on the ones that are least objectionable for a reef, although not necessarily reef safe. Going to Hawaii next week, and afterward I doubt that anything other than a Auriga butterfly will do. Have you ever seen schools of these on the reefs? It's great!

Old 12-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Quote:
I think it's a no-brainer that a beginner should do FOWLR 1st. Corals are more picky about water conditions , perfect flow-rate, etc. than fish.
I don't know if i entirely agree with this. They are a bit more particular about water conditions but overall there are some corals that are easier to take care of then fish. It all depends. There are a lot of fish out there (mandarins, some blennies, butterfly) that are more particular about what they eat and are much less hardy and bullet proof then some people give them credit for. Not going to say that a FOWLR or a reef is easier either way but don't let the idea that all corals are difficult to keep turn you away from a reef. Your going to have to be careful about what you put in your tank either way.

bucjason not trying to take a shot at you or anything. just giving my opinion/experiences.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
I don't know if i entirely agree with this. They are a bit more particular about water conditions but overall there are some corals that are easier to take care of then fish. It all depends. There are a lot of fish out there (mandarins, some blennies, butterfly) that are more particular about what they eat and are much less hardy and bullet proof then some people give them credit for. Not going to say that a FOWLR or a reef is easier either way but don't let the idea that all corals are difficult to keep turn you away from a reef. Your going to have to be careful about what you put in your tank either way.

bucjason not trying to take a shot at you or anything. just giving my opinion/experiences.
it's cool...good points.

Tags
fowlr, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com