Reef or not: 46 gallon bowfront with little room for a sizeable sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nnatic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 46" bowfront with a stand that has been a freshwater tank for years and years. I want to go saltwater but struggling with what to do.

The stand has little room for a sump / refugium. The only thing i can find that will fit without going custom is this: https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=30999

With that, I can really only do a skimmer and maybe some live rock. Only other retail sump I could put in there would be a 15 gallon high tank. The regular is too deep.

So with that said, what would you do with this setup? I dont want to buy a new tank etc so that is out. I would prefer to do reef, but its not a requirement for sure. I lean towards using a sump for the additional water and protein skimmer. I really worry about the over the back skimmers for the same leak reason as well as efficiency. I want to use a drilled setup so I dont run the risk of a water leak if something goes wrong.

What would you do with this setup? Sump or no sump? Reef or no reef?

Even on sale that is a pretty large chunk of change for that sump.

This is a similar problem I have. A 46G bowfront small door and space underneath and I sort of wanted a lagoon cube like tank with lots of floor space, but then I have this perfectly functional 46G tank staring at me.

It is a little bit deep for a reef and with fish only it would need a good protein skimmer I think. Many fish are needing a larger amount of gallons, so in a small way you are limited for fowlr. Reef would need a pretty good light for par.

Personally I am leaning for selling of my 46G and using the money towards a nice different tank.

40 breeder is a good size tank - better shape and height for lighting reaching the bottom, than a 46G bowfront, reasonable cost.

I am going for a tank probably under 50G for ease of keeping it an easy water change. My interest is more in Rock Flower Anemones and inverts, and not exactly a traditional type set up.

Do you like the fish better, the corals or coral type creatures ?

Knowing what your interest is really, and building the tank around that is better.

My thoughts in having "settled" for tanks so frequently over the years is that I probably spent more money switching for a different tank trying to make something work, and then moving to some other good value but again not what I wanted.

At this time I have a big cardboard box 30 x 30 inch cube with SW rocks taking up space and doing that to get a feel of what tank size I would like to have.

Initially I thought 36" cube and after having a 30" box sitting there I rethought 36" sticking out so far into the living room. Still thinking it over and looking for a like new used tank to come up.

It is a little bit deep for a reef and with fish only it would need a good protein skimmer I think. Many fish are needing a larger amount of gallons, so in a small way you are limited for fowlr. Reef would need a pretty good light for par.

Do you like the fish better, the corals or coral type creatures ?

Thanks for the great reply.

Good point on the depth and lighting requirements. Never considered how much better of a light i would need in that case.

What are your thoughts on a 15 gallon tall tank for a sump. Maybe that is the way to go in this case instead of that retail sump.

I really care most about the fish, but feel like it would probably enjoy corals at some point.

I feel like the bowfront is so much better of a presentation than a standard wide tank but your points are well taken. I have been thinking about this for a year or so and just cant pull the trigger yet.

I'm in a similar boat, I already have 2 fw tanks (125 and 60 gallons) so space is a little limited in the basement for another tank.

I ended going with a 40 breeder, but if I had a 46b I would personally just use that. My tank is currently cycling and I have zero saltwater experience, but my impression from research is that a 10 or 15 gallon sump is enough for a good quality sump so I say go for it!

My plan is to get my feet wet (pun intended) with a fowlr and after the tank is more established upgrade the lighting for some beginner corals.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom