Reef-Ready vs Non Reef-Ready

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ATLien

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to start a reef tank and I would like to know is it better to buy a reef-ready tank that comes with bio media, pumps, wet/dry filters, and plumb pre-filter or buy one without and buy the equipment that I want and need to have a successful reef tank.

IMO, it is better to purchase a Drilled Tank without all the extras. Some companies call them Reef Ready. That way, you have a drilled tank, but not all the extra stuff you will not end up using. Do some pricing on what a drilled tank is alone, and then figure out what all your extras would be. The pumps that come with the package may not be the quality you are looking for. It sounds to me like you have an "ideal" in your head. Find out what the package is compared to what you want.

[edit: Reefrunner you beat me to it, but your post is more to the point than mine :D ]

Thanks to both of you. This will be my first sw tank and I do not want to get rippped off by my lfs and by things that I won't need for a reef set-up.

Back
Top Bottom